Thread: Ubuntu does not work with UN HQ Wifi

Beans

Cool Ubuntu does not work with UN HQ Wifi

In the past I have used Ubuntu successfully with Wifi accross five continents, but I am surprised that it when I tried to connect at the UN Headquarters in New York I constantly get the 404 error. I brought this to the attention of the UN's computer helpdesk and they tried to debug it (although surprisingly they don't have one Linux or Ubuntu expert, but some who know a little about Linux), but they coudlnot get it to work. I get a very strong Wifi signal and can use my Wifi at other sites in New York. They claim there is no security on their network that would stop me from connecting and I have nto set any special security settings. I do have some add-ons but these don't seem to interfere elsewhere. Any ideas what this could be?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu does not work with UN HQ Wifi

A 404 error to me says the site that you're trying to go to is down or the page you're trying to go to isn't there. I may be wrong but that's the only time I've ever got that error. Have you tried going to another site?

Try one that is rarely down like google.com or yahoo.com

If there's no connection it would give a different error like no network.
    Ultimate Edition Links

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved this to the Networking and Wireless thread as it does not fit in the NY State Ubuntu LoCo team forum area.

Beans

No page/site works.

There is clearly a connection and if I use the computer elsewhere (out side of UN) I can get the internet. I don't understand...unles sthey weer wrong at Un helpd desk in telling me there is no special security.

Could any Monzilla add-ons cuase problems like this?
    Last edited by cdoebbler; December 12th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.