Thread: "Private Key is Locked" when using SSH

Beans

"Private Key is Locked" when using SSH

Hi:

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to post this problem in, so if it isn't, please move it to the appropriate place.

I've set up password-less ssh logins on a few remote servers, and everything was working fine. Then recently, when I tried to SSH to one, this dialog box pops up that says:

"An application is trying to access the private key id_rsa, but it is locked"

It then gives me options to unlock it. I didn't try because I was worried about potential security issues. So I clicked "Deny", the dialog disappears, and I suppose naturally, I have to enter a password to login (i.e., password-less SSH login no longer works).

In order to make SSH behave like it had before, I ran:

Code:
    ssh-add -D
    to remove all identities, and then ran:

Code:
    ssh-add
    to re-add my identity.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me:

1. what caused the original change in behaviour
    2. why the above steps "fixed" it
    3. what does "unlocking" the private key do

My current theory (more of hunch ) is that there is a "lifetime" associated with identities, and it just so happened that mine had expired. If this is so, could people also tell me where this lifetime is specified?

Cheers,
    LK
    Last edited by LordKelvan; December 12th, 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Beans

Re: "Private Key is Locked" when using SSH

I'm having a similar issue. I'm getting the same pop-up. But I'm using a key with a password.

I get this strange behavior:

If I enter the correct password, it will not accept it. But if I try again right after it works without the pop-up poping up again and letting me login without the password that goes with the key.

I found this in launcpad.net:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ng/+bug/187127

I tried:

Code:
    sudo gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh false
    But still got the same problem. The only thing that worked was:

Code:
    sudo killall gnome-keyring-daemon
    But I don't know if the above will affect something else, for now things seem ok.

Things where working just fine yesterday. I haven't done anything, like any major update or install.

I have another system and it's not having this problem. The one with this issue is 32bit and the other is 64bit. Both are running Xubuntu 8.10.

I will like to know what is causing this? And if killing gnome-keyring-daemon will cause more problems?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m_l17; December 12th, 2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Beans

Can anyone help?

Beans

I believe this is happening because the gnome-keyring daemon is managing the ssh keys (it shouldn't do this since ssh already has an agent). You can tell the daemon to stop doing this by issuing this command:

sudo gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh false

There is more info here: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/Ssh

I think this fixed the problem for me. I say think because a system update occurred at the same time. Good luck.

Cheers