Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some basic knowledge

Beans

Question Some basic knowledge

As a total beginner with Linux and Ubuntu I seem to lack some basic skills. For instance, when trying to save or move certain files I sometimes get an error message saying I don't have permission to carry out the actions.
    Surely, I as the owner of my computer, would like to be able to do all that is needed. There must be some setting or likewise that will give me total control of my computer and operating language?

Ollie

Beans

Re: Some basic knowledge

physically you may own the hardware but when it comes to the OS, you only "own" your home directory, root owns the rest of the system. In order to do anything outside your home folder, you need to do it as sudo. This is to prevent us from doing something stupid to the OS.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Duck2006 View Post
    thanks for the link, I knew there was one around somewhere, just couldn't think where and didn't want to go digging for it
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

bin etc initrd.img.old mnt root tmp vmlinuz
    boot home lib opt sbin usr vmlinuz.old
    cdrom initrd lost+found proc srv var
    dev initrd.img media Recycled sys $VAULT$.AVG

That's all the directories I have. Each branches out to subdirectories. Under /home there is onlt one user: bloch

So /home/bloch is the only directory (with all subdirectories) where I can move and delete as I please.

If you open a terminal and enter the command
    sudo nautilus
    (your password will then be requested)
    then in the window that opens you can move and delete files as you please, as you have super-user powers.
    IT IS DANGEROUS TO WORK AS SUPER-USER
    and there is rarely a need to access the system files directly by this method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you open a terminal and enter the command
    sudo nautilus
    (your password will then be requested)
    then in the window that opens you can move and delete files as you please, as you have super-user powers.
    Plese do not use sudo nautilus.
    99 times out of 100 you have no problems, but that 1 in 100 is really bad.

If you want to run nautilus as root use this code:
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    sudo is only for terminal, non graphical things.

gksu is for running graphical applications with root permissions.

Code:
    gksu nautilus
    will give you total control to move, copy, erase, etc. ANYTHING on the drive.
    It also makes it possible to really frak your system if you do something wrong.

Please be careful with your new super powers......
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans

Thanks very much! That really helped. I have a feeling this is going to be a slow (but pleasant) journey to "linux-user-ship".
    The reason I tried to copy a file from my Documents folder to the home folder of python 2.5 was that, when trying to open a just saved text file (as a .py file, just trying it out) I was not able to open it, then beleiving that the reason was that it had to reside in the same folder as python itself. I don't really believe that is needed but I had to try it as I got an error message trying to open by typing: python filename.py
    Ollie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There is not much you can't do to your system. My problem is remembering how I did it last time. Then if I have to search for a thread like this it takes me a couple of days to get it done. Now every time I learn how to do something new I make a note in Tomboy so I can do it again. I think I should try zim and make a wiki of all this stuff.

Beans

There is not much you can't do to your system. My problem is remembering how I did it last time. Then if I have to search for a thread like this it takes me a couple of days to get it done. Now every time I learn how to do something new I make a note in Tomboy so I can do it again. I think I should try zim and make a wiki of all this stuff.
    Just popping in.
    I am from the Education Focus Group from the BT.
    You can add your wish, your idea for a course, article or essay dealing with Ubuntu Essentials or advanced stuff to the sticky in this Absolute Beginner Forum.

thx
    Michael
    Keep it real. Keep it nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shooting Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OllieGab View Post
    Thanks very much! That really helped. I have a feeling this is going to be a slow (but pleasant) journey to "linux-user-ship".
    The reason I tried to copy a file from my Documents folder to the home folder of python 2.5 was that, when trying to open a just saved text file (as a .py file, just trying it out) I was not able to open it, then beleiving that the reason was that it had to reside in the same folder as python itself. I don't really believe that is needed but I had to try it as I got an error message trying to open by typing: python filename.py
    Ollie
    i do not get it. why you want to copy a python file from home to python folder. if it is a script you are trying out then create a folder called scripts in your home folder and save those things there . then invoke them by opening the terminal and typing /home/scripts/name_of_file.py but it only works after you made it an executeable file by typing chmod 755 ./name_of_file.py . sorry if i not understand the reasons or the statement correctly but it is a very bad idea to being copy stuff from your home folder into other folders in the system that are not really ment to hold ohter files than those that belongs to the program it self.

if a file in the home folder is a script that may be bash perl or python and it has the executable flags set right then just open the terminal and type ./filename and the it should run. and you can also make a hidden folder for these scripts if you use them a lot and then make an alias for them in your bashrc.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast