Thread: Linux Head from North-Side of Indianapolis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Linux Head from North-Side of Indianapolis

Been a Linux head for over 4 years now. No Windows OS or Microsoft apps insight.

I decided to go all Linux after my third installment of Windows in a one year period do to viruses or strange hiccups.

I started with SimplyMepis, great experience for a first timer. Only hardware I had to replace was my printer because my was a Lexmark. I went with HP all-in-one.printer.

Love Linux, never got a virus or hiccup since I made the switch.
    Everything works, they was it should.

After SimplyMepis for about 1 1/2. I made a switch to another Linux just to see what the others had to offer. I move to PCLinuxOS, Wow - this is a great OS also. I stay with them for about 1 year. Then I move to Sabayon: Sabayon isn't for beginner. Learning a Gentoo distro was a new learning experience to me. But I enjoy every minute of it. After that, I switch to many distro as many as 35. I wanted to learn everything about Linux had to offer.

Wow, I learn every day. Now I try Ubuntu for about the third time. This 8.10 version is real good. So for now I'm a Ubuntu user for a while.

Linux Rules!
    Peace-Out

Beans

Re: Linux Head from North-Side of Indianapolis

@gimcrack:

Awesome! Welcome aboard.

I myself have been almost an almost pure Linux user for about 3 years, now. I haven't done quite so much distro hopping as you, just a little bit here and there. I've got an Arch server, for instance, but Ubuntu has been my primary desktop distro and the only one I recommend to new users.

I just got an HP Photosmart All-in-one that works absolutely fantastically out of the box with Ubuntu. Plug the USB and boom, it's up and running. Only *slightly* more complex if you want plug it directly into the network (you actually have to open up the "New Printer" dialog, but it's automatically listed as an option).

I met a Lexmark guy at the Ohio LinuxFest who says there's a big push inside of Lexmark to get Linux support to that level, but there's a lot of resistance from the Intellectual Property people there who are concerned about trade secrets and such being gleaned by looking through the driver source code.

Too bad. HP has shown how awesome it is to be *pretty much* fully supported (some of their lower-level stuff isn't totally seamlessly supported; my mother-in-law has an HP P1005 that required some weird voodoo chant with the Windows drivers to get it to work).

Anyhow, glad to hear from you!