Thread: Rhythymbox music sorting

Beans

Rhythymbox music sorting

Ok, I have been using rhythymbox, i have no idea how to use any of it, my brother inlaw set it up for me, and i just push the buttons and make it work. The problem I am having i think is in how my files are named (he showed me once and i cant remember). I will give you an example of what is happening and then hopefull someone can tell me how to alter it. So for eample, I have several tom waits albums in my music library. they all play and thats fine, but under artists, its all screwed up. Some are listed under his name, some under the album name, and some under bette midler cause she sang on one of the songs. My BIL showed me some place on the computer that i needed to go to and manually alter all of them, but i cannot find it.
    help.... (in real simple steps...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Rhythymbox music sorting

Press ctrl+B for the organised browsing window. Then you can click the column headings to sort by track number, title, genre, artist, album etc.
    "Daddy? Do pigs lay sausages?" - Little Miss PocketDog

Beans

ok thanks.. i will try that right now.

Beans

ok nope, I'm looking for something that i can use to actually change the way rythym box reads my files.
    try again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Try this:

Right click on one of the songs (tracks) that is not in the right place. Then click on Properties. This will bring up a screen that allows you to change the artist, album, etc. The program looks at this information to determine how to display the track. You actually can click on several track to correct at one time. If you hold down the control key and click on tracks you will be selecting more than one at a time. You can them right click on any one of the ones you just selected, select properties and enter the correct information for all those files.

Oh, if the tracks you want to correct are all lined up one after the other, you can click on the first one, hold down the shift key and click on the last one in the list. This will select all the ones in between, too. You can then do the same process.

Beans

ok, that takes me to where i want to be, but i am not able to (for some reason) type in that feild. I can highlight, but i cannot rewrite anything. is there anyother way to get into that feild?

Beans
    Distro

Just to be sure this is not working for you. If you click on multiple files there are some items which you may not be able to change, I believe.

1. Right click on a single song.
    2. Click on properties. The list of properties should appear.
    3. Highlight the genre, or click in the genre block if nothing is there.
    4. Type in a different genre (you can fix this later if this is working)
    5. Click on Close at the bottom right.

The new genre should now show on your screen.

Beans

yep thats what im doing. I am able to highlight it, and i was able to change the genre on one album, but none of the others. im confused about why it worked for one and not the other.

Beans
    Distro

Well, one at a time is not good. Better than not being able to do it, but a real pain. Just try this for me to be sure.

1. click on one song
    2. hold down the control key
    3. click on one other song
    4. release the control key
    5. right click with the cursor over either of the two songs
    6. select properties
    7. change the genre
    8. click on close at the bottom
    9. check to see if the genre changed on both songs.

Let me know what happens