Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Must Read: "Linux - stop holding our kids back"

Beans

Re: A Must Read

That is why I am not overly focused on the "does Linux work better than Windows?" side but rather consider every day I spend working on Linux a contribution to my freedom, to my knowledge, and against intellectual slavery.

Freedom in computing is at such a young stage that examples like this remind me of the Middle Ages, witches, and the Roman Church that decided which books were to be spread and which weren't, and in this way it kept its power. But it didn't last long...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by canoemoose View Post
    Strewth! (I'd use a stronger word, but don't want to upset anyone.) Had this happened/should this happen to me, I'd be livid! Unbelievable. I'm lost for words really.
    You don't seem particularly lost for words, to be frank.
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)to To other side. get the
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)other to side. To the get

Beans

nevermind (it was stupid).

Beans

Those argumets in the email have the same chances of surviving like a snowball in Sahara would have. Absolutely amazing, I read that in disbelief. If I didn't know better, I'd say someone made that up.
    * I'm the operator with my pocket calculator *

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What disturbs me more is her mentality that she has to teach the kids Windows because it's the norm in her world. It's akin to me having to learn to use a typewriter in the 7th grade because the instructor told me that I would be using a typewriter as soon as I grew up. Upon entering college, Win NT was the norm. Yes, NT. No typewriters then.

No one teaches the fundamentals anymore. You have to learn Windows instead of an operating system. You have to learn Word 2003 instead of a word processor. No wonder why IT staff shudder at the thought of having to train office monkeys whenever there is an upgrade to MS Office...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If teachers start confiscating Linux it will become wildly popular among schoolkids. Woot!

Beans

How a person like that can TEACH to others is beyond me.

I never let stuff be taken from me by teachers (it's not legal).

Well they could take my gsm as long as I got it back the second school was over.

Beans

Ignorance is one thing, but her knee jerk reaction that something different -> something wrong makes her, in my opinion at least, unfit as a teacher.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    If teachers start confiscating Linux it will become wildly popular among schoolkids. Woot!

Truely sad that the teacher herself is un-educated. The kid did nothing wrong and linux is totally free and open source. She seems like a teacher stuck in the 80's and early 90's. Linux has changed greatly since then. Linux's options are so vast these days, why not use it?
    fedora core 9
    XBL Gamertag: MDK BlOOdHuNTeR

I'm one of them things they call a right wing conservative gun nut. Nice to meet you.
    PSN: whitefang5412

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

WTF is this kind of joke?Some people really are crazy love into M$.
    Last edited by Chame_Wizard; December 10th, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast