Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken

Beans

Broken

Last series of update has broken my installation. Now it just hangs on boot. Going in safe mode, I can read the lines until "checking battery state... OK" then it hangs. My PC is a desktop, no laptop. Not sure if the checking the battery message should be there...

Tried the different boot options, nothing so far.

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Broken

dakkar9999,
    even if I have a desktop and yes, it also does talk about battery while booting up (both in Intrepid as well as in Jaunty).

I would theorize it two ways with no idea which one is correct although I believe both might be correct.

a. Ubuntu is supposed to be using upstart - an event based replacement for /sbin/init daemon although they have not started working on the same.

FWI understand, eventually it would be like a plug-and-play mechanism so depending on what things you have under the hood those services would start up or not making for a lean and mean booting experience.

b. Desktop's also have a battery, the battery which is in BIOS which keeps track of date and many other things. It might be checking for this as well.

Now as far as booting is concerned, I'm hoping you have edited your boot lines so 'quiet' and 'splash' are taken out. Instead of that put 'verbose' therein. It should give you a sort of more in-depth idea of what's happening and where its hanging. Then you can file a bug of not booting against the grub package giving the output just before it hangs . A little bit about the hardware you have would also give the developers an idea what's wrong with it.
    Last edited by ShirishAg75; December 10th, 2008 at 04:50 AM.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Its hanging on acpi. Try pressing E at the grub menu and add acpi=off to the kernel parameters (just type acpi=off at the end of the line). Please post back and let us know if this worked for you.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Nope, that didn't work. The screen just goes blank and there is no activity.

If I do a normal boot, the progress bar goes almost entirely full, then it hangs. But something strange happens, which might give an indication of the problem. There is a green dotted lines that appears under the progress bar. It kind of flicker and then becomes solid. It would seem to hint at some graphic card hang up, but I'm not sure...

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

is there any way you could try a different monitor?
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Broken

Next thing to do is:

as root, edit your /boot/grub/menu.list--take the main kernel line & where it says "quiet splash"--change it to "nosplash". Use a LiveCD to get to it--mod the file & then reboot. You will get the verbose text boot & then post with the info from when it hangs.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by |{urse; December 11th, 2008 at 05:32 AM.

Beans

Ok, I've got it working again. Not sure if it'll be back on at reboot though...

I went through the recovery boot, Did the X display fix (or something like that) still went black at boot, but when I did ctrl+alt+del, it dropped me to the session login, from which I was able to load the desktop.

So I guess I'll have to reboot to see if it's fixed or not...

Beans

Yeah, it's the ATI driver that's acting up. If it is deactivated, I'm able to log in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: Broken

Quote Originally Posted by dakkar9999 View Post
    Last series of update has broken my installation. Now it just hangs on boot...............

Suggestions?
    Suggestions? OH, YESS!! CAN THE UPDATES!

I've been on Intrepid since pre-Alpha and Jaunty since pre-Alpha. Things will be crippling along, getting somewhere, then WHAM! an update kills me. In August an Intrepid "Update" killed Intel graphics. They didn't fix that until after release over 2 months later, and that by just disabling Compiz. I'd do an "UPDATE", i.e. poison pill, it wouldn't even boot, so I had to go back to the last running CD Live.

Jaunty same thing. Early Alpha ran, an UPDATE killed me, wouldn't even boot.

Being burnt and fried, now I download a CD Live. If it runs, I'll cautiously install on a dual boot. If it doesn't run, forget it.
    I DON'T UPDATE ANYTHING!

Today's CD Live installed and immediately wanted to do 230 updates. NO WAY!! 20081211's running on 4 machines and not about to kill them with updates.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast