Thread: Problem with attempt to install windows after I installed Ubuntu

Beans

Unhappy Problem with attempt to install windows after I installed Ubuntu

Hi what I know of computers is dangerous but I jumped in and installed Ubuntustudio but deleting my windows data (on purpose) etc when I partitioned my HD.
    Ubuntu is running fine but need Windows programs which are not supported by Wine. I therefore want to reboot with my Windows Vista CD to install.
    If I do a reboot now (F12 setting CD drive as my boot drive) the system simply ignores this and goes straight into the HD boot sequence and starts Ubuntustudio.
    However when I insert the Ubuntu CD and set my booting sequence to CD drive the Ubuntu CD starts etc.
    I have no experience of shell etc and have been floundering around with the UbuntuStudio partitioning which I have done several times now.
    BTW the Grub file has been loaded.
    Can anyone guide me on the right track here. Not to much techlanguage though.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Problem with attempt to install windows after I installed Ubuntu

Could you post:
    sudo fdisk -lu

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

These may be totally irrelevant, but a couple of things spring to mind, firstly, is your copy of Vista, ahem, legal? If its a copy it may not actually be a bootable image. second thing is, and I'm sure you've checked this, is your optical drive a DVD drive or only a CD drive? Only Vista comes on a DVD whereas Ubuntu is a CD. sorry, if I'm being patronising

Cheers,

Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The question about whether it's a Vista "CD" or "DVD" is actually an important one because, if it's a "CD", and it came with your system, it's probably only a recovery disk.

However, if your system came preinstalled with Vista on it, the recovery CD can probably be used to restore your original Vista installation -- but that will wipe EVERYTHING from your drive in the process.