Thread: Is anyone using a hardware SATA card?

Beans

Is anyone using a hardware SATA card?

I'm thinking of picking up an adaptec SATA card. My file transfers are atrocious. I'm getting like 5mb transfers from disk to disk or disk to USB.

I'm using a Seagate 320gb and a WD 400gb. Ive tried the 3 modes, IDE RAID and AHCI in my bios, none of them made any difference. The only other thing I can think of is my software driven raid controller on the motherboard. One other thing that irritated me about my controller is that I wasnt able to Acronis the system because the hard drives didnt load before their software. I've never been too fond of them.

So I was wondering if anyone is using a SATA card has any complaints about it or can verify they are getting solid file transfers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is anyone using a hardware SATA card?

I have successfully used SATA cards with SIL3114 chipsets. These are PCI so you will only get 1.5GBPS (as opposed to 3GBPS with PCI-E) and have 4 ports.

The performance of the drives seem fine.

These cards can be flashed with a RAID firmware or a normal IDE firmware.

I use the normal IDE firmware with two 320GB Seagate drives in software RAID 1.
    Last edited by mk1w86; January 10th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Is anyone using a hardware SATA card?

I have a PCI card with the Sil3114 chipset, but it's not a true hardware raid card (fakeraid). I'm not sure if any true hardware raid cards use this chipset.
    Last edited by Platypus123; July 16th, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typo