Thread: [SOLVED] New monitor too bright

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

[SOLVED] New monitor too bright

Hey everyone, I just got a new monitor yesterday and it was fine using it yesterday, but today, it's just too damn bright! lol I'm assuming it's cause I just woke up, but I was wondering if there was a command or an option somewhere to adjust the brightness? lol. There's an option on the monitor for it but the lowest setting is "Text" which is still to bright for me early in the morning. lol.
    Desktop | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz | 320GB + 640GB HDD | 4GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dell Mini 9 | Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz | 16GB SSD + 16GB SD Card | 2GB RAM | 1.3MP Cam + Bluetooth | Intel GMA 950

Beans

Re: New monitor too bright

Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblob View Post
    Hey everyone, I just got a new monitor yesterday and it was fine using it yesterday, but today, it's just too damn bright! lol I'm assuming it's cause I just woke up, but I was wondering if there was a command or an option somewhere to adjust the brightness? lol. There's an option on the monitor for it but the lowest setting is "Text" which is still to bright for me early in the morning. lol.
    There should be an brightness adjustment, not just default settings in the OSD.

Failing that, in system->preferences->Power Management there should be a display brightness adjustment, but many monitors for desktops are not supported. Usually it is laptops only, so you might be at the mercy of whatever the hardware's OSD can do.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: New monitor too bright

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    There should be an brightness adjustment, not just default settings in the OSD.

Failing that, in system->preferences->Power Management there should be a display brightness adjustment, but many monitors for desktops are not supported. Usually it is laptops only, so you might be at the mercy of whatever the hardware's OSD can do.
    Ah yes, thanks. Turns out there was a brightness setting in the monitor, had to select the "user" profile. I overlooked that before. I can see again!
    Desktop | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz | 320GB + 640GB HDD | 4GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dell Mini 9 | Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz | 16GB SSD + 16GB SD Card | 2GB RAM | 1.3MP Cam + Bluetooth | Intel GMA 950