Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't get started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Can't get started

Good Morning Pytheas

I am getting lost.

I have reinstalled per your instructions. I tried a second install, because I was unsure if I had done it, and it said I had already the latest version.

Now the Gnome Applications menu shows the Wine items under "Other"
    with the results of clicking them:
    Browse C:\Drive Nothing happens
    Configure Wine Nothing happens
    Notepad Nothing happens
    Uninstall Wine Software Nothing happens

If, in terminal I now get
    mng@mng-linux:~$ winecfg
    wine: chdir to /home/~/.wine
    : No such file or directory

Worse is that the top part of the Places menu has been disabled.
    Clicking on Home Folder produces a box stating:
    Could not open location "file:///home/mng"
    There is no default action associated with this location.

All the menu items show the extra /.
    It looks like nautilus has gone. Just like apt-get remove said it would remove it.

Much of the System menu looks ok, but it is not all working.
    Preferences > preferred applications says:
    Failed to execute child process "gnome-default-applications-properties" (No such file or directory)

I'll give you a chance to think about this, and come back after lunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ahhhh, I'm sorry...it seems like apt-get remove wine* matched a whole lot of things that I don't think it should have matched (and I don't know why it did), and you removed them all, which is bad.

So now we have two things to do: 1) reverse the damage that my command caused, then 2) fix the original problem.

You should be able to reinstall all the packages that you uninstalled earlier by typing:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libwine-capi libchewing-data libchewing3-data libswing-layout-java matchbox-window-manager libopensg-windowx-dev libwine-alsa windows-el plplot9-driver-xwin libmono-winforms1.0-cil libchewing3-data winefish wxwin-i18n xwatchwin libwine-twain fte-xwindow kwin-style-comix kwin libwine-arts wxwin-doc kdeartwork-theme-window-kde4 xwininfo wings3d x-window-system-core kwin-decor-baghira avifile-win32-plugin freepwing x-window-system winesetuptk libchewing-dev scim-chewing windowlab libchewing2-dev kwin-style-suse2 libopensg-windowx libconfigwin-ocaml-dev libcameleon-ocaml-dev wine-utils libchewing libchewing3 kwin-style-knifty type-handling wininfo xfce4-windowlist-plugin kwin-style-alphacube libwine-jack matchbox-window-manager-maemo hwinfo grubutil-win32 wxwin2.4-doc libchewing3 xwine wxwin2.4-headers kwin-style-crystal libmono-winforms2.0-cil libopensg-windowx1 x-window-manager libchewing3-dev libwine kwin4 kwin-style-baghira libwine-ldap wine-dev avant-window-navigator wine-doc libwine-gphoto2 twinkle kwin-style-blended type-handling twin libwings-dev wine wing wink libwine-print kwin-style-dekorator openwince-jtag libgnome-window-settings1 kdeartwork-theme-window libwine-dev libwine-cms libwine-gl libswingworker-java libwine-esd kwin-kde4 libgnome-window-settings-dev wing-data kwin-style-powder wxwin2.4-i18n wxwin2.2-doc libwine-nas wxwin-headers winbind libswingworker-java-doc winpdb libswing-layout-java-doc openwince-include libchewing1-dev libwine-sane kwin-baghira kwin-style-serenity
    (This is just a list that I generated based on the output in your post showing which packages were removed by apt-get.)

Please let me know if this works, and solves the problems with broken menus, etc. From there, it really should not be too hard to resolve the original issue of wine not working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As a matter of precision, I didn't enter
    apt-get remove wine*
    but
    apt-get remove --purge wine*

That might account for the generosity.

I put your install line in and it produced a response.
    sudo apt-get install libwine-capi libchewing-data libchewing3-data --------- kwin-baghira kwin-style-serenity

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package libwine-capi is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However, the following packages replace it:
    wine
    E: Package libwine-capi has no installation candidate
    __________________________________________________ ________________

i.e. didn't work. So I removed libwine-capi and submitted it again

That complained similarly about wine pieces being already included in wine.
    So then I removed everything that included the letters -wine-
    and got this.

Building dependency tree
    Note, selecting libchewing3-data instead of libchewing-data
    Package wxwin-i18n is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However, the following packages replace it:
    wx2.8-i18n wx2.6-i18n wx2.4-i18n
    E: Package wxwin-i18n has no installation candidate

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm writing now on my Hardy (not Windows) and a little concerned that I could lose all of gnome if I shut down. But so far it is holding up.

I think what we could do here is to reinstall the packages that it said it was going to remove, but using synaptic, so letting synaptic assemble the package pieces necessary at their current level. Would you agree?

Beans
    Distro

I think what we could do here is to reinstall the packages that it said it was going to remove, but using synaptic, so letting synaptic assemble the package pieces necessary at their current level. Would you agree?
    Yes, I agree. Actually that's what I was hoping the 'apt-get' command would do (Synaptic is just a graphical front-end to apt-get). You could try installing the individual packages via Synaptic and may have better luck, provided you have the patience to do that--but you will probably run into the same complaints about unresolvable or obsolete packages. To get around these, you will need to do what you already tried--remove the problematic packages from the 'apt-get install' command or from the list in Synaptic.

It may make the most sense to open up Synaptic and go through the list of packages ten or so at a time. This will make it manageable to work through package errors as they arise. If you try to do the whole list at once, neither Synaptic nor apt-get will process any of the packages until the entire list is completely error-free, which will probably cause you a lot of frustration if you don't break the list down into smaller chunks.

Also, thanks for being patient with this; it was stupid of me not to check that 'apt-get remove --purge wine*' command myself before telling you to run it, and it's obviously screwed a lot of stuff up for you. So thanks for not hating me too much for that mistake.

On the bright side, you're learning a lot about package management in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Don't worry, Pytheas. I did all that Synaptic stuff (actually on my own initiative) and it seems to have worked fine. I did not delete wicd which I use for wired connection. Everything is back. I can start a new terminal, etc, etc. And yes, I am learning, which is one of the goals.

I took a look at - info apt-get remove --purge - and could not see anything except perhaps in combination with remove it is super-powerful. I think perhaps you might report this issue to the ubuntu people or higher up the linux chain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we are back to how to uninstall this old wine 1.0 seeing that Applications > Other > Uninstall Wine Software does nothing.

I think I will see what Synaptic will do for me. I deleted the wine package. Programs are gone from the applications menu.
    But ".wine" and its file contents remain there. Good!

There is another thread about deleting wine. Will read it.
    It suggests that you have to RIGHT click wine in synaptic menus to get the configuration removed. Marked for complete removal. Executed.

I note that, for Hardy, 1.0.0 seems to be the latest version. Don't think I want to move up to Intrepid. Was there and got out.

So now I will try to reinstall, using Synaptic. There is sort of a problem with the Update button in Synaptic. It is not clear how that is to be used or when. So I used it. Now I seem to have something. Right clicking is sometimes useful, though never indicated.

Thanks for so far.

mngsailing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I get the feeling I have a valid installation now. But no real progress.

If I go to an exe file in its home in drive_c, and I then RIGHT click, I get a menu that suggests I can open the exe with wine's program loader.
    But nothing happens. Is there some magic button that wine recognizes?"

Beans
    Distro

Some background information:
    I took a look at - info apt-get remove --purge - and could not see anything except perhaps in combination with remove it is super-powerful.
    It suggests that you have to RIGHT click wine in synaptic menus to get the configuration removed. Marked for complete removal. Executed.
    Actually the 'Mark for complete removal' option in Synaptic is the same thing as using the '--purge' argument with apt-get. It removes configuration files as well as executables, and can be useful if you think you've broken a certain application by misconfiguring it.
    I think perhaps you might report this issue to the ubuntu people or higher up the linux chain.
    The reason that everything went crazy doesn't have to do with the '--purge' argument. It happened because I told you to use a regex in the apt-get command. When you type 'apt-get remove --purge wine*', the * is supposed to tell apt-get to remove every package whose name begins with the letters 'wine'.

Unfortunately, when you ran the command, apt-get for some reason decided to match every package with the letters 'win' anywhere in their name. I don't know why it ignored the 'e' in wine, and I don't know if this is a bug or if apt-get is supposed to behave this way. I use regexes with apt-get a lot and have never seen it do something like this, but maybe I've just never been in the right situation. I will check on it and report it if others can confirm that apt-get is not supposed to match regexes like that.

---

Anyway, as for the real problem, what output do you get from these commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wine
    dpkg -s wine
    dpkg --info wine
    Don't actually agree to remove anything yet; please just let me know the output of those commands.

Also, please create a new user account (using the utility at System>Administration>Users and Groups) and log in under it. Does can you run any Windows applications via wine under the new account?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is your point #1

---------------------------
    mng@mng-linux:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
    [sudo] password for mng:
    Building dependency tree
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    winbind libaudio2
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    wine
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 55.0MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    ---------------------------------------------
    mng@mng-linux:~$ dpkg -s wine
    Package: wine
    Priority: optional
    Section: otherosfs
    Installed-Size: 53680
    Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.0.0-1ubuntu4~hardy1
    Replaces: libwine-alsa, libwine-arts, libwine-capi, libwine-cms, libwine-esd, libwine-gl, libwine-gphoto2, libwine-jack, libwine-ldap, libwine-nas, libwine-print, libwine-sane, libwine-twain, wine-doc, wine-utils, winesetuptk, xwine
    Depends: binfmt-support (>= 1.1.2), libasound2 (>> 1.0.14), libaudio2, libaudiofile0 (>= 0.2.3-4), libc6 (>= 2.4), libesd-alsa0 (>= 0.2.35) | libesd0 (>= 0.2.35), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglu1-mesa | libglu1, libgphoto2-2 (>= 2.4.0), libgphoto2-port0 (>= 2.4.0), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), liblcms1 (>= 1.15-1), libldap-2.4-2 (>= 2.4.7), libsm6, libx11-6, libxau6, libxext6, libxml2 (>= 2.6.27), libxslt1.1 (>= 1.1.20), libxt6, libxxf86vm1, winbind
    Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.14.12ubuntu3)
    Suggests: msttcorefonts, xdg-utils
    Conflicts: binfmt-support (<< 1.1.2), libwine, libwine-alsa, libwine-arts, libwine-capi, libwine-cms, libwine-esd, libwine-gl, libwine-gphoto2, libwine-jack, libwine-ldap, libwine-nas, libwine-print, libwine-sane, libwine-twain, wine-doc, wine-utils, winesetuptk, xwine
    Conffiles:
    /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/wine.menu d15dadc3527b2c6dca96023a5351aedc
    Description: Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)
    Wine is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications on Linux.
    Applications are run at full speed without the need of cpu emulation. Wine
    does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native system dll
    files in place of its own if they are available.
    This package includes a program loader for running unmodified Windows executables
    as well as the Wine project's free version of the Windows API for running programs
    ported from Windows.
    Homepage: http://www.winehq.org/
    Original-Maintainer: Scott Ritchie <scottritchie@ubuntu.com>
    -----------------
    mng@mng-linux:~$ dpkg --info wine
    dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `wine': No such file or directory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your point #2

The new member of our team is called winehunter
    He has a home.
    He has wine in the Applications menu
    None of the top three wine items seem to do anything.
    There is no drive_c visible. He cannot configure his wine.
    /home/winehunter has 8 directories from desktop to videos

In ~/documents/superjpg there is a file superjpg.exe that I have lent him. This file has Properties > Open With - "Wine Windows Program Loader". So when I right click that superjpg.exe and then OPEN - nothing happens.
    All this is to say that winehunter has the same operating situation that I have. Looks identical, except he has no c:\drive.

He may resume this conversation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Perhaps I should mention that this machine went through two installations of Intrepid before I abandoned that route and went with Hardy.

The Hardy installation I tried to install on top of the Intrepid (not in clean partitions) because there was a printer driver in I that I wanted to keep. However, I never tried to install wine in the Intrepid phase.

Beans
    Distro

It looks like you can safely remove the wine package. So I would go ahead and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge wine
    sudo apt-get install wine
    This will give you a fresh installation and with any luck will clear up the whole problem. If not, we'll try the next thing.

The point of testing out wine under a new account was to see whether the problem was user-specific or system-wide. It's clear now that it's the latter, which makes it harder to fix, but at least we have a better idea of what we're dealing with.
    The Hardy installation I tried to install on top of the Intrepid (not in clean partitions) because there was a printer driver in I that I wanted to keep. However, I never tried to install wine in the Intrepid phase.
    How did you downgrade from Intrepid to Hardy? Did you force it to use the Hardy repositories or something? That could definitely have something to do with what's going on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast