Thread: [solved] ntfs unclean shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[solved] ntfs unclean shutdown

I was transferring files via a USB portable drive (NTFS format). Unfortunately when I plugged it into Ubuntu it said:

"$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)

Failed to mount /dev/yadayada

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly."

But I found an easy solution via "http://linuxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/07/fixing-ntfs-mount-error-in-gnulinux.html"

After you follow the instructions, you just unplug the USB, and plug in back in and voila! its reads perfectly!

(This is a follow up from an archived thread which asked for feedback but unfortunately the user did not so I'm writing to say it works!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [solved] ntfs unclean shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlim View Post
    I was transferring files via a USB portable drive (NTFS format). Unfortunately when I plugged it into Ubuntu it said:

"$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)

Failed to mount /dev/yadayada

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly."

But I found an easy solution via "http://linuxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/07/fixing-ntfs-mount-error-in-gnulinux.html"

After you follow the instructions, you just unplug the USB, and plug in back in and voila! its reads perfectly!

(This is a follow up from an archived thread which asked for feedback but unfortunately the user did not so I'm writing to say it works!)
    Or you can just force the mount with the included command, which i'll repeat here:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/portable -o force
    Replace /dev/sda1 with whatever the heck you want to mount, and /media/portable with whatever the mount point is.
    OH NOES!!! I HAZ CRASHED SERVER!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! CAUSE ITS FUNNY!!!!
    Running either 7.04, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, it varies.
    You talkin' to me? - Taxi Driver (1976)

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Forcing the mount except for read only mode is not a good idea since linux will not replay the journal, which can lead to data loss. You really should just boot back into windows, and cleanly unmount the volume.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    Forcing the mount except for read only mode is not a good idea since linux will not replay the journal, which can lead to data loss. You really should just boot back into windows, and cleanly unmount the volume.
    NTFS is not journaled, and why not just mount it in read only with the -ro (i think that's it) flag and then unmount, then let HAL mount it.
    Last edited by rhcm123; December 10th, 2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    OH NOES!!! I HAZ CRASHED SERVER!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! CAUSE ITS FUNNY!!!!

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rhcm123 View Post
    NTFS is not journaled, and why not just mount it in read only with the -ro (i think that's it) flag and then unmount, then let HAL mount it.
    Yes, it is journaled. And the reason linux refused to mount it when it was dirty was specifically because it knows it does not understand the journal so it will likely make a mess of things.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    Yes, it is journaled. And the reason linux refused to mount it when it was dirty was specifically because it knows it does not understand the journal so it will likely make a mess of things.
    :O, i did not know it was journaled... hmm... then again, the last file system i studied in depth was fat16... , and when i force the mount i've had no hiccups. Just brand this as a USE AT OWN RISK, but i've done it literally dozens of times (after windows crashes ) and had no problems.

And I should also note, NTFS is not a truly well supported filing system on linux. Apt-get ntfs-tools or whatever the package is called now to make this easier on you.