Thread: Software raid.

Software raid.

Hi.

My friend is using Linux for his first time (Kubuntu), and he had a raid on his windows machine. He has his main drive, and then he has two drives that mirror eachother.

On linux, it sees this as two different drives that have the same files in them- All of the software raid guides I've found consist of formatting the drives, is there any way I can do this without losing all the files?

I'm SSH'd into his machine so if you need me to check anything I can.

Thanks!

Re: Software raid.

Bumping this up from the second page..

This isn't a raid solution but this would work... Make a backup of the entire filesystem:

Check the blog:
    http://ubuntu-commands.blogspot.com/...ur-system.html

One question though- If I redo the raid on Linux, then it'll be two drives again in Windows, right? So it's one or the other here..?

Beans

Does the BIOS on the motherboard have an option to do RAID there?
    If it does I think you can set up the array on there and use dmraid for linux to see the array, and windows should be able to as well.

Definatly backup all the data on the drives you are going to be using, then if something goes wrong you do have a backup of it all.

You should be able to create a new partition on the 2 drives (if you have enough space) and use that new partition for linux... that would give you a dual os raid setup