Thread: Dual Monitor Configuration

Beans

Dual Monitor Configuration

I don't know which forum to put this in, so I'll just put it here.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L35 laptop from two years(ish) ago. It has an ATi Mobility Radeon X300 IGP. I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.10 with the fglrx driver, X, and GNOME. I have an old CRT connected to the laptop's VGA-out port. The CRT is lacking EDID, the chip that contains the file stating what resolutions and refresh rates the monitor is capable of.

I would like to run both the laptop's panel (1280*800 60Hz) and the CRT (via VGA-0 at 1600*1200 85Hz, which it is capable of in Windows). Additionally, I would like to be able to move windows between the two screens. If this isn't possible, I'd like to configure it with two different refresh rates and give up the ability to move .

I don't know if the problem is in X or if it is in the driver, and beyond that I have no idea how to deal with it. The most similar post to my problem is unanswered.

Thanks!! If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dual Monitor Configuration

ed: Been poking around my ATi box. Found a menu item under 'Other', Screen and Graphics Preferences. You tried that?

Do you have ATi Catalyst Control Center installed?
    Easiest to hardest:
    Install envy or envyng, depending on which supports your card, and use it to install The ATi driver (includes ATi Catalyst Control Center.) I chose uninstall first to clean out the old stuff. I had to use the manual install option to get my 9600 to work.

Install ATi Catalyst Control Center Linux flavor from the ATi site.

If you're savy in such things, you could build a xorg.conf manually. That's what I do when all else fails...
    Last edited by NT4usB; December 8th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
    (Master be/fe) ASUS P5KPL IPC, E5400, KVR800D2N6K2/2G, 8500GT, (2)PVR-150, A180, ATSC-115, U10.04, MythTV 0.23-fixes.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Dual Monitor Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by NT4usB View Post
    ed: Been poking around my ATi box. Found a menu item under 'Other', Screen and Graphics Preferences. You tried that?
    You lost me.

Do you have ATi Catalyst Control Center installed?
    Yes. Edit: The best it will let me do is specifying that my CRT is left of my laptop. It sets them both to run at 1280*800@60Hz, so I have a 2560*800 screen now.

Install envy or envyng, depending on which supports your card, and use it to install The ATi driver (includes ATi Catalyst Control Center.) I chose uninstall first to clean out the old stuff. I had to use the manual install option to get my 9600 to work.
    Envy NG's GTK mode doesn't do anything anymore, and all Envy NG's text-based does is install the driver.

If you're savy in such things, you could build a xorg.conf manually. That's what I do when all else fails...
    I'm proficient enough to be comfortable with editing it (I've edited both it and grub.conf before) but I don't know what to actually put.

ED: I've tried to use aticonfig to help me... no beans.
    Here's my shot at pairmodes, which I gather are somewhat new...
    Code:
    grant@grant-laptop:~$ sudo aticonfig --add-pairmode=width1280xheight800+width1600xheight1200
    Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-6
    grant@grant-laptop:~$ sudo aticonfig --list-pairmode
    Get pair modes : 2
     0    1280x800 + 1280x800 --> 2560x800 
     1    0x0 + 0x0 --> 0x0
    I'm reluctant to remove pairmode 0 because it's the one I'm using at the moment.

I went into xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option	    "EnableMonitor" "crt1,lvds"
    	Option	    "DesktopSetup" "horizontal,reverse"
    	Option	    "PairModes" "1280x800+1280x800,0x0+0x0"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection
    and changed it to
    Code:
    Option	    "PairModes" "1280x800+1280x800,1280x800+1600x1200"
    --list-pairmode still shows the same old thing after saving, but I guess that's because Xorg.conf is lower in the stack than aticonfig. I'm gonna reboot and post what happens.

Edit:it said the two pairs of dimensions can't be greater than 1280*800 and 1024*768. No pairmodes, I guess...
    Last edited by grantmeaname; December 10th, 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: I've been working at it another 24 hours

Beans

bump...

can anybody tell me what to put in xorg.conf?

Beans

Fglrx was always pretty fiddly with multi-monitor IME, and it may not be possible to do what you want to do.

I haven't messed with fglrx multi-mon in quite some time, but in Ye Olden Days, there were multiple ways to configure multi-mon. The one they seem to still be using used to be called Big Desktop, where the two screens are seen by the OS/apps as one big desktop, on one virtual monitor. This constrained resolution support as you've seen.

They had another option called Extended Desktop that would see the two screens as separate and independent, and would allow independent res/refresh as well.

I'll have to poke at Intrepid+fglrx and a spare monitor when I get home. I'll also poke at bridgman to see what's up if the options have changed.