Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very slow Program Guide while watching Live TV

Beans

Very slow Program Guide while watching Live TV

I've recently setup a new media pc, pretty good specs, C2D 8400 with 4Gb memory and a P5N7A-VM motherboard which has a Geforce 9300. Its running Mythbuntu 8.10 with all the latest updates and nvidia 177.80 (also tried 173) drivers.

But there's something that I cant figure out. The program guide is unbelievably slow if you open it while watching live tv. Another media pc that doesnt have such high spec's is running it all much smoother (it has a Geforce 6150LE).

Now I've done a google and there was a known problem a while ago but those fixes should be in the MythTV that came with 8.10. So I'm at a loss whats actually causing MythTV to be this slow.

Anyone else having this issue (or had this issue)?

Beans

Re: Very slow Program Guide while watching Live TV

Hi!

I have a decent machine and also noticed the lag, the epg took forever to browse.

Made some tests and the only thing that worked was to change from opengl render to qt, for the mythfrontend render.

I worked for me, no the little livetv window i the epg becomes choppy instead when browsin, but thats something i can live with.

Beans

Have you turned on mysql caching. That's what I use to try and speed things up. Not a perfect option by far but does help a lot once the data is cached.

YMMV

Mike

Beans

MySql caching wont work as another frontend that is using the same backend has no issues at all.

Anyways, after some testing I found that its the same issue that is supposedly fixed. The related bug is this one:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3986

However I'm not using the Bob deinterlacer but the Yadif (2x), that said the problem still happens with the Bob 2x deinterlacer as well.

Has this fix been 'unfixed' in 8.10 ?

Beans

*bump*

The problem still persists and at this moment it seems its the only issue I have with my MythTV setup.

Beans

This has been a nagging issue with a lot of people for a long time now. The original thought seemed to have been that it had something to do with Bob deinterlacing causing the slow down, and a fix was supposedly introduced to fix it.

I still experience the problem, using the most current version from the weekly builds, so I have a feeling that the "Bob deinterlacing fix" didn't actually fix anything. Mine is a little stranger though, because the slowdown is entirely depenendant on what channel I am watching when I open the guide. I have 3 channels that if I am watching them, I know 100% for sure I cannot open the guide, or I'll be stuck for a while. On any other channel, I have no guide issues.

I have tried every deinterlacer, renderer, etc that I have seen suggested, and nothing has ever fixed it. I have kind of given up on it, and just don't use the guide when on certain channels. When I'm on those channels, I just use the up/down keys to scroll through the channels to see what's on. Annoying as all get out, but like I said, I've given up on that issue.

For what it's worth to anyone who may be able to fix it, all my channels that cause my guide to be slow are broadcast in 720p. All my other stations, which cause no problems with the guide, are broadcast in an interlaced format (1080i or lower).
    Last edited by uncle hammy; January 2nd, 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried changin the Video playback profile?
    In the frontend go to Utilities/Setup>Setup>TV Settings>Playback
    On the third page try setting the Current Video Playback to Slim.

Beans

If I change my profile to any profile that uses XvMC then I have no issues with my guide. To me, there are 2 issues with this "solution"...

1. XvMC has it's own drawbacks like greyscale OSD, when the OSD is open/scrolling the guide/jumping forward or back the audio stutters something fierce, etc

2. My machines are easily capable of doing their thing without XvMC, this is the only issue I have. Due to the issues above, I'd rather not turn it on, just to "fix" the guide being intolerably slow while it's open when I'm tuned to 3 different channels.

Beans

If I change my profile to any profile that uses XvMC then I have no issues with my guide. To me, there are 2 issues with this "solution"...

1. XvMC has it's own drawbacks like greyscale OSD, when the OSD is open/scrolling the guide/jumping forward or back the audio stutters something fierce, etc

2. My machines are easily capable of doing their thing without XvMC, this is the only issue I have. Due to the issues above, I'd rather not turn it on, just to "fix" the guide being intolerably slow while it's open when I'm tuned to 3 different channels.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This plagues me too, but not all the time. I find that the High Quality settings work the most. I still have problems sometimes, and I don't know what exactly is causing it. The only sure fire way to make the guide work for me is to pause the live tv before entering the guide. I am too new to try too much troubleshooting, and am apprehensive trying too much because I always end up breaking something else.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast