Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update Manager not running daily since upgrade to Intrepid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Update Manager not running daily since upgrade to Intrepid

If I run it manually it works perfectly. However, before the upgrade (Note: previously upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy to Hardy without a problem), every morning it checked for updates and silently downloaded them. The "Update" tab of the "Software Sources" control panel is set up correctly (identically to another server that is correctly checking for updates).

uname -a
    Linux CERTIBY-DEV1 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Update Manager not running daily since upgrade to Intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by davidkahn View Post
    If I run it manually it works perfectly. However, before the upgrade (Note: previously upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy to Hardy without a problem), every morning it checked for updates and silently downloaded them. The "Update" tab of the "Software Sources" control panel is set up correctly (identically to another server that is correctly checking for updates).

uname -a
    Linux CERTIBY-DEV1 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I assume that you have check daily in software sources. I guess you answer that in your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm having the same thing happening to me. Even after i manually run the update manager it still says last updated 4 days ago. This didn't start until i upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10.I'm about to backup my home folder and do a clean install.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am having the same problem on my box after upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10. Update manager works fine if I initiate it manually but it will not automatically update package information so that update notifier can alert me. To ethos_dacapo if your system is checking for updates and just not correctly displaying when the package information was last updated check your repos. I have read that if your repos are incorrect it will cause this error and it is common after updates.
    Last edited by Snypez; December 23rd, 2008 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Snypez View Post
    I am having the same problem on my box after upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10. Update manager works fine if I initiate it manually but it will not automatically update package information so that update notifier can alert me. To ethos_dacapo if your system is checking for updates and just not correctly displaying when the package information was last updated check your repos. I have read that if your repos are incorrect it will cause this error and it is common after updates.
    Wow thanks for that tid bit of info. I did have a launchpad repository for pidgin that i updated from hardy to intrepid and it was giving me an error saying it couldn't be found. I just unchecked it for now and now my update manager at least shows it was updated today. I suspect its still not gonna check on its own though because i only edited the repositories 5 days ago and updated everything from hardy to intrepid. I really don't want to miss any important security updates and especially a realtime kernel update since i'm using ubuntustudio. It hasn't done too bad so far but i am getting a few xruns. Anyways hopefully this thread will come to life with a way to fix the problem we're having with daily updates.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans

doesn't work for me either, 2 days ago since last check for updates, and that time i checked myself (of what i can recall)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

FYI: Thanks button looks like a little medal in bottom right. Glad I could help with your issue. Now if only we could figure out why update manager is not automatically updating package info we would be in good shape.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1004403
    from the above link:
    I have the same problem, and found that /etc/cron.daily/apt did not have execute-permission. I believe that this script is responsible for update-manager checking the sources.

So i suggest checking if the you have the execute-permission set, and if not, set it (sudo chmod a+x /etc/cron.daily/apt)
    Is this the answer we're looking for? I'm not so quick to change file permissions until i know whether or not its safe. It isn't set to execute as a program on my system though. This looks like the answer but can anyone confirm before i change it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I ain't scrred. I did a "sudo chmod 755 /etc/cron.daily/apt". We will see if that fixes it.
    Last edited by Snypez; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

No luck with the file permissions. The problem persists still on my box
    EDIT:
    Or I didn't wait long enough before I posted. It appears this did indeed fix the issue. Do a ls -l /etc/cron.daily/ and you will see that all files in this dir have 755 permissions except the apt script. Chmoding it to 755 does indeed allow the update manager to automatically check for updates.
    Last edited by Snypez; December 24th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast