Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I stop my local IP address from changing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I stop my local IP address from changing?

Quote Originally Posted by TeXtonyx View Post
    I have a question about this. I thought you had to pay a little
    extra to the ISP to obtain a fixed IP address from them, otherwise
    they rotate them dynamically. Is that just a wrong notion?
    That's for the internet connection. We are talking about LAN (local area network) IP addresses.

@snkngshps: How are you connected to your network? Wireless or Ethernet?
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    That's for the internet connection. We are talking about LAN (local area network) IP addresses.

@snkngshps: How are you connected to your network? Wireless or Ethernet?
    Wirelessly. I saw your post before but I was still slightly confused. You may have to dumb it down a bit for me
    Running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on a Dell Inspirion 1501 | DUAL CORE AMD x64 1.8 TURION |Video Card: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP] | Sound Card: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia | 2 Gigs of Ram

Beans

you could edit your /etc/network/interfaces file manually and set static ip http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/...-in-linux.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snkngshps View Post
    access my home computer through my work computer via VNC. The problem is, after a week or two our local IP addresses change and I have reset up the port forwarding and our folder sharing.
    Do you mean the IP of each machine or you 'external' IP (the one you type in at work to connect)?
    Most routers will allow you to set IPs, I would expect this of a router that allows configurable port forwarding. Ideally you would want to keep using DHCP and assign IP address based on the machines mac.
    This is how I have set my router up, all the file shares/servers, the printer and so some of the desktops have a fixed IPs. The laptops and any other devices that connect are assigned a 'random' address.

I don't know what model you have but page 16 may help:
    linksys manual

Edit: meant page 16 (DHCP reservation)
    Last edited by tarps87; December 8th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tarps87 View Post
    Do you mean the IP of each machine or you 'external' IP (the one you type in at work to connect)?
    Most routers will allow you to set IPs, I would expect this of a router that allows configurable port forwarding. Ideally you would want to keep using DHCP and assign IP address based on the machines mac.
    This is how I have set my router up, all the file shares/servers, the printer and so some of the desktops have a fixed IPs. The laptops and any other devices that connect are assigned a 'random' address.

I don't know what model you have but page 16 may help:
    linksys manual

Edit: meant page 16 (DHCP reservation)
    It's the local IP that changes, not the external, but since I have the port forwarding on my router set to my computer's local IP when my local IP changes, I can no longer access my computer. I'll take a look at that guide though. All I really want is to create a permanent, local IP address so I don't have to constantly reset my bookmarks and everything.
    Running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on a Dell Inspirion 1501 | DUAL CORE AMD x64 1.8 TURION |Video Card: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP] | Sound Card: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia | 2 Gigs of Ram

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superprash2003 View Post
    you could edit your /etc/network/interfaces file manually and set static ip http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/...-in-linux.html
    This looks to be exactly what I'm looking for! I'm at work right now but I'm going to give this a shot when I get home.

Edit: This might be a pain to ask, but can anyone look at the iconfig information I posted earlier and help me with what I should be putting in, relevant to this guide. I understand most of it but the only part this is confusing me is the eth0. I'm thinking this will be different for me, but I don't want to mess anything up.
    Last edited by snkngshps; December 8th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snkngshps View Post
    This looks to be exactly what I'm looking for! I'm at work right now but I'm going to give this a shot when I get home.

Edit: This might be a pain to ask, but can anyone look at the iconfig information I posted earlier and help me with what I should be putting in, relevant to this guide. I understand most of it but the only part this is confusing me is the eth0. I'm thinking this will be different for me, but I don't want to mess anything up.
    Just replace eth0 with wlan0, as that looks like your interface from the ifconfig output.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Just replace eth0 with wlan0, as that looks like your interface from the ifconfig output.
    I'm running into a problem with step 4 of the guide. My interfaces file only has the following 2 lines in it:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    The guide says to replace the line "iface eth0 inet dhcp" but I don't have that line at all.

Beans

Adding the following lines to the end of the file should work

iface wlan0 inet static
    address ipadd
    netmask mask
    gateway gateway

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeXtonyx View Post
    I have a question about this. I thought you had to pay a little
    extra to the ISP to obtain a fixed IP address from them, otherwise
    they rotate them dynamically. Is that just a wrong notion?
    It depends on your ISP. If you're just talking about home service, you may have a static IP address. Best way is to find out your *external* IP address and monitor it over time. If you use a home router, you must use your router interface to see the external IP. I've had the same external IP address for years from my ISP without paying any extra charge.

The original poster's question was about setting up a static IP address for the *internal* IP, not the *external* one. I trust you understand the difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast