Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Wired network problem

Beans

Re: Wired network problem

Quote Originally Posted by earthwarrior View Post
    I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router connected to my computer with a cat5e ethernet cable. But the port indicator light on the router doesn't light up and ubuntu says no network device is available. I am running 8.10 on a dell desktop and the cable is connected to the built in ehternet port.
    I think you will find the default ip address is the same on the network card and the linksys befsr41. In windows you have to change the address of the router to 192.168.2.1 instead of the default 192.168.1.1. to get the system to work with this cabel/dsl router. Then the ip address of the computer has to be released and renewed. Linksys has a q&a on this procedure for windows I was looking here to see if anyone had done it for Linux. Reboot after you change it and everything should work fine. I have this same box and I was looking here to find the procedure for doing just this when I stumbled over your post.
    Last edited by 1OldDog2; December 7th, 2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Corrected an error in my post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Wired network problem

the problem was that the integrated NIC was disabled in the BIOS setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12