Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IE4linux on Intrepid?

Beans

Question IE4linux on Intrepid?

Hello. I need to use Internet Explorer 6 for a government website and firefox does not work nor is it allowed. I've tried the usual user agent tricks but they do not work.

How exactly can I run IE6 on my intrepid install? I see that IE4linux is an option, but it looks like only edgy, fiesty, and dapper are supported. http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...llation:Ubuntu

any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: IE4linux on Intrepid?

hi there,
    IEs4linux can be used in your intrepid install. That tutorial is just very outdated, which is the reason it only has the old versions of ubuntu in it. Whilst (if they exist) you could just substitute 'edgy' with your version of ubuntu where it is specified in the tutorial for adding the wine budgetdedicated repo, you do not actually need this for wine/cabextract. Wine and cabextract are both in the ubuntu repositories, so just run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
    (NOTE: i cannot remember if wine is in universe or not (it is probably in multiverse), but it is provided in one of the default repositories that is listed in /etc/apt/sources.list so just edit that file, and uncomment all repositories in there (the deb-src ones are not needed though) then run sudo apt-get update, and then the command outlined above.)

after running that command, run the next steps outlined in the tutorial:
    Code:
     wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
     tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
     cd ies4linux-*
     ./ies4linux
    and you should be good to go, it should work fine.

AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans

thanks
    that worked
    even though my cpu was 100%.

but that's fine for now - just had to fill out a form on a government website.

thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried that commands (up-to-date Intrepid) and got an error:
    /home/mati/Pulpit/ies4linux-2.99.0.1/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py:264: GtkWarning: gtk_text_layout_real_invalidate: assertion `layout->wrap_loop_count == 0' failed
    self.textbuffer.delete(it, self.textbuffer.get_end_iter())
    Gtk:ERROR:/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.14.4/gtk/gtktextview.c:3425:gtk_text_view_validate_onscreen : assertion failed: (text_view->onscreen_validated)
    ui/pygtk/python-gtk.sh: line 6: 11565 Aborted (core dumped) python "$IES4LINUX"/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py
    Any ideas how to fix it? IE6 is the only app I need to run in Wine

Beans

Hi,
    I have installed wine first and later realized that I would also need cabextra to run internet explorer 7.0. I have tried above mentioned steps and got the following error.

robertjack@ROBERTJACK:~/ies4linux-2.99.0.1$ ./ies4linux
    IEs4Linux 2 is developed to be used with recent Wine versions (0.9.x). It seems that you are using an old version. It's recommended that you update your wine to the latest version (Go to: winehq.com).

/home/robertjack/ies4linux-2.99.0.1/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py:268: GtkWarning: gtk_text_layout_real_invalidate: assertion `layout->wrap_loop_count == 0' failed
    self.textbuffer.insert_with_tags(self.textbuffer.g et_end_iter(), line, tag)
    ui/pygtk/python-gtk.sh: line 6: 20885 Segmentation fault python "$IES4LINUX"/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py
    robertjack@ROBERTJACK:~/ies4linux-2.99.0.1$

BTW, Should I really need both wine and cabextract to run IE7?
    Please advise,
    Jack

Beans

Hi,
    I have installed wine first and later realized that I would also need cabextra to run internet explorer 7.0. I have tried above mentioned steps and got the following error.

robertjack@ROBERTJACK:~/ies4linux-2.99.0.1$ ./ies4linux
    IEs4Linux 2 is developed to be used with recent Wine versions (0.9.x). It seems that you are using an old version. It's recommended that you update your wine to the latest version (Go to: winehq.com).

/home/robertjack/ies4linux-2.99.0.1/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py:268: GtkWarning: gtk_text_layout_real_invalidate: assertion `layout->wrap_loop_count == 0' failed
    ui/pygtk/python-gtk.sh: line 6: 20885 Segmentation fault python "$IES4LINUX"/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py
    robertjack@ROBERTJACK:~/ies4linux-2.99.0.1$

BTW, Should I really need both wine and cabextract to run IE7? If so, why?
    Please advise,
    Jack

Beans

I have found a work around (a hack) to this problem.

do as instructed but stop just after cd ies4linux-*

type gedit ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py

goto line 268. Lines 267 268 and 269 are as follows

# Insert text and relocate scroll
    self.textview.scroll_to_iter(self.textbuffer.get_e nd_iter(), 0)

Comment these two lines 268 and 269 changing them so 267, 268 and 269 read

# Insert text and relocate scroll
    #self.textbuffer.insert_with_tags(self.textbuffer. get_end_iter(), line, tag)
    #self.textview.scroll_to_iter(self.textbuffer.get_ end_iter(), 0)

Save and File|quit

You will be at the command prompt

Now run ./ies4linux

After you click OK in the .ies4linux window the status window will be blank. This is correct as we have commented out the lines that generated the text on the status window. Wait until Cancel changes to Close then close the window.

IE will now be installed.

PS. Does anyone know how to make a bug report on the ies4linux web site? I could not find a way.
    Last edited by sges; December 14th, 2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

another solution is
    ./ies4linux --no-gui
    Last edited by sges; December 16th, 2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yes, I also have same problem when installing ies4linux in my Intrepid. This is the error:

python: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:77: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.
    ui/pygtk/python-gtk.sh: line 6: 6456 Aborted python "$IES4LINUX"/ui/pygtk/ies4linux-gtk.py

and sges suggestion with
    ./ies4linux --no-gui

works like a charm...
    Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: IE4linux on Intrepid?

Worked for me too. After adding "http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt intrepid main" to the repos, I ran the following:
    Code:
    wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
    wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
    tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
    cd ies4linux-*
    ./ies4linux --no-gui
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast