Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Nvidia, Modelines, Overscan...8.10

Beans

Re: Nvidia, Modelines, Overscan...8.10

I have a Zotac Zbox (nvidia GT218) running Ubuntu 10.10, using HDMI output to a Mitsubishi WD-52527, and had the overscan problem. In the nvidia settings under GPU0 - (ION) -> DFP-n (Mitsubishi MEUSPTUS), there's a slider control for Overscan Compensation that solves this problem nicely. I needed to go to 144 to get a nice fit. The horiz-vert ratio isn't perfect, but it's close enough.

Kudos to everyone involved with making this work to begin with, and more recently making it simple to adjust.

I have an NVidia Quadro FC 570M in my deskbook computer running Ubuntu 10.4 with NVidia drivers, and it has an Overscan Compensation slider as well, although I haven't used it. I expect it works the same as in 10.10.

So to answer Brian's question, I think that hpadrick's method has become the 2nd choice, first choice being to find and use the Overscan Compensation sliders that are now included in the GUI.

Beans

Finding this thread was such a relief.

A big thanks to hpadrick, I'd thought I'd run out of options until I found this. Which unfortunately took soooo much time, can't believe it doesn't rank better in searches.

Unfortunately my Nvidia card doesn't support the 'overscan compensation slider' which is a bugger but I can now mess about with ModeLines to my hearts content.

One catch with hpadrick's solution for me is that I don't see an X or a grey screen when I run the command 'X'. I can work around that by restarting the X-server checking res, going back to stop it etc but I'd like to know if this is a symptom of a bigger problem that I should be concerned about?

I don't have my xlog.txt log available at the moment but if useful I can post.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Beans

Unfortunately, hpadrick's instructions didn't work for me. When I type

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    I receive this message:

Code:
    Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8) utility, e.g. service gdm stop
    So then I try typing

Code:
    service gdm stop
    and it says

Code:
    stop: unknown instance:
    I tried typing just "sudo gdm stop" which produced this:

Code:
    WARNING**: Could not acquire name; bailing out
    Anyway so I tried to continue (the first message was a bit vague as to whether it actually failed or was just recommending a different solution). When I typed this

Code:
    X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1
    I briefly saw half a NVIDIA logo and then the screen went black. Ctrl+alt+backspace had no effect and I just had to turn off the computer manually.

I am running ubuntu 11.04 on a Dell M1530 (core duo with GT8600M). The reason I'm trying to do this is because I want to run the laptop on my TV through a HDMI cable, and the screen runs off the edge of the TV.

I would really appreciate some help as I have very little experience with ubuntu, EDID, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Dell Optiplex 990 2nd gen 64-bit i7, 8GB ram, ubuntu 11.04

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789