Thread: WinFF and non-working presets

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb WinFF and non-working presets

In this forum I see quite some people having problems with presets in WinFF not working. Basically there are two reasons why this could be the case:
    1. Your ffmpeg version does not support the format you try to convert to.
    2. The presets.xml file that you are currently using uses parameters that match an other version of ffmpeg.

The way to solve the first problem is depends on which version of Ubuntu you use. Hardy users can use the ffmpeg from Medibuntu. Intrepid users can install ubuntu-restricted-extras or kubuntu-restricted-extras or xubuntu-restricted-extras (from the multiverse repository).

The way to solve the second problem is to replace the presets.xml file found in ~/.winff/ with an other version. Updated versions can be found at winff.org (Extended installation instructions can be found there).
    Paul Gevers
    WinFF maintainer in Ubuntu and Debian.

Beans

Re: WinFF and non-working presets

If you don't want to install all of the extra junk that ubuntu-restricted-extras provides you can install just the unstripped ffmpeg libraries [link to another forum post] which will allow encoding to various restricted formats such as mp3. The version numbers may change, so if your package manager can't find the package you'll have to search for the new name.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: WinFF and non-working presets

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    If you don't want to install all of the extra junk that ubuntu-restricted-extras provides you can install just the unstripped ffmpeg libraries [link to another forum post]...
    I might be wrong, but actually I think you only need libavcodec-unstripped-51, where the number may increase in upgrades. I suggest installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras, because of this possible increase. That package should always depend on the correct version for the ffmpeg package in the distribution.
    Paul Gevers
    WinFF maintainer in Ubuntu and Debian.