Thread: Problems with installation

Beans

Problems with installation

ok, i wanted to try ubuntu before but i messed up and made a mistake and accidentally erased my whole hard drive when i wanted to dual boot and it didnt recognize anything, not even my wifi card so i re installed XP. now i want to try it again but everything i try it doesnt work. im going to try to be as specific as i can. first i downloaded the 8.10 and burned it and then installed it on to a partition i have called "backup" which is D: i used 10 gigs and set my name and password and then i restarted my computer and selected to boot ubuntu then it said while counting down "press esc to go to menu" i didnt and then ubuntu loaded and installed it, later i tried booting it again and it loaded and i entered my name and password and then it begins to load goes to a black screen with the loading icon frozen. i tried restarting over and over but it did the same thing. later i uninstalled it and then tried wubi, i did the same as before but it still didnt work. what am i doing wrong? if im missing any information just ask. thanks in advance.

edit: i forgot to mention that when i used the burned cd to install i just put it in while i was on windows. and i currently have windows XP
    Last edited by locodoso; December 4th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Beans

Re: Problems with installation

hmhm

I do not really get the whole picture, but... everything should work when you follow this guide.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_w...lled_first.htm
    Keep it real. Keep it nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shooting Ubuntu

Beans

it still doesnt load after i log in. i tried checking for broken files but it doesnt work, it just stays in this orange screen not loading at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by locodoso View Post
    edit: i forgot to mention that when i used the burned cd to install i just put it in while i was on windows. and i currently have windows XP
    So you installed with Wubi.

I have never used it, but I understand it's pretty stable these days.

Perhaps your best bet is to remove it (from within Windows) and try reinstalling.

But first, go through the standard checks to make sure the CD is OK: md5sum and boot from CD "check for defects"

Beans

yes i un-installed it and checked the CD for defects and then installed it exactly like in the link shown above. and the problem still occurs. grub installed correctly and everything its just that when i login it just stays on an orange screen with the pointer and just stays there
    Last edited by locodoso; December 8th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

bump

Beans

bump