Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

This is a nice feature. Unfortunately I had to remove it because it studders my scrolling and window dragging. The CPU peeks to 50% every 2 seconds also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

nifty little program, works great......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by domino
    This is a nice feature. Unfortunately I had to remove it because it studders my scrolling and window dragging. The CPU peeks to 50% every 2 seconds also.
    my cpu is hitting a high every couple seconds too. any one have any ideas as to why? this is cool but I can't have it doing that.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by domino
    Most likely, you're using this with --acquire option (as suggested by someone else in this thread). This option forces 3ddesk to acquire a screenshot of each of your desktops first by cycling through them, and then starts the program. Try running 3ddesk from a terminal without any options, and you'll be fine.

If you don't like that high cpu usage, you "have to" disable --acquire option.

The 3Ddesktop saves its preferences in /etc/3ddesktop/3ddesktop.conf. Backup this file, and edit it as per your liking! If you're uncomfortable with editing conf files, you can still get a workaround:

1. open a terminal window, and type 3ddesk --stop. Press enter. This stops 3ddesktop daemon.
    2. Now restart the 3ddesktop daemon in the fastest mode: in the terminal, type 3ddeskd --fastest and press enter. Please note you should run 3ddeskd for this step, not 3ddesk.
    3. Now your 3ddesktop is configured to run in the fastest graphic mode. Test it by typing 3ddesk in the terminal and pressing enter.
    4. Still having problems? You have problems with your 3d graphics hardware. Locate help for installing and enabling 3d support for your graphic card from these forums - do a search!
    Last edited by anil_robo; December 19th, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
    Photography by Indians
    I'm registered Linux User # 406032

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by pixelPOET
    Use '3ddesk -acquire' first (maybe add it to your startup?) and it will take a snapshot of all your desktops. This will eliminate that small, yet rather unattractive problem.

This is quite possible, to do it just...

Go to System Tools > Configuration Editor.

Open apps > metacity > keybinding commands.

Double click on command_1, and in the value field, enter '3ddesk' (no quotes).

Now, go to apps > metacity > global keybindings and double click on "run command_1."

In the value enter your keyboard shortcut. I used <Control><Alt>P, but use whatever suits you...

Now, delete the custom launcher he told you to make in the original post...it's useless.

Hope I helped,
    -Jason

By the way, I think he forgot to mention, you have to have your graphics card drivers installed and OpenGL working for this to function correctly.

EDIT 2: What is with the Windows XP Bliss wallpaper?! I'm not hating or anything...but people that use linux tend to customize a LITTLE more than that. Lol. Run over to http://www.deviantart.com and grab a nice desktop. (Sorry, I had to say something about it...)
    thanks a million for this post...

Beans

When running 3ddeskd you may want to include --acquire=30. This will tell 3ddesktop to collect an image of each workspace. This way none of the screens come up gray.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Is anyone else experiencing performance problems with 3ddesktop?

On my system, 3ddesktop takes up 200Mb of RAM and seems to entirely hang the system for 0.2 seconds every 2 seconds or so; it doesn't stop until I kill 3ddesk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
    Is anyone else experiencing performance problems with 3ddesktop?

On my system, 3ddesktop takes up 200Mb of RAM and seems to entirely hang the system for 0.2 seconds every 2 seconds or so; it doesn't stop until I kill 3ddesk.

Tell us more about your system (full specs please).
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

The Ubuntu-installation itself is still very clean.
    Most important hardware specs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (S754)
    X800 Pro ViVo @ XT PE
    2x 512MB PC3200 "Infineon Original"
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS

ATI's drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

no probs here works great looks great cheers

6600GT
    2600+ Sempron
    756mb pc2100
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    I think that ms's future will be a drunken and down-on-his-luck Steve Balmer on a beach somewhere in South America or the far east, trying to convince bored american tourists that he used to be important.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast