Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

what exctly is the 3d desktop thing? I saw some screen shots, like the first post with three windows open, are those actual windows that just like rotate or something when you pick one to work in? or is it just a background type thing?

Nobody's Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

ok so i have it installed, and i have a little icon i made to activate 3d desktop, but how to you make stuff appear in the other windows? when i click it, my screen draws back, and i see the one i had, and three other ones blank... what do you do with those? also, i saw some screenshot where the 3d thing was a cube..can this do that?

Nobody's Home

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x5452
    ok so i have it installed, and i have a little icon i made to activate 3d desktop, but how to you make stuff appear in the other windows? when i click it, my screen draws back, and i see the one i had, and three other ones blank... what do you do with those? also, i saw some screenshot where the 3d thing was a cube..can this do that?
    The other screens appear blank because you have not told 3ddesktop to grab them periodically. You can do so by changing the commandline for launcher to:

Code:
    3ddesk --acquire=100
    This cycles through all the available desktops, acquiring their screenshots at 100 millisecond intervals, and then starts 3ddesktop. However, it may eat up much system resources.

Let me know if it works.
    Photography by Indians
    I'm registered Linux User # 406032

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

is there a way to, and i hope this doesnt sound stupid, but say on my current desktop i have a background pic, with a certain gkrellm theme ect.. can I click the 'workspace switcher' to a second workspace and put a different background, theme ect.. and have them stay like that? so when i click the 3D button and they all slide back to choose the desktop/workspace, that i can pick between different backgrounds and theme one? Does this make any sense or am I crazy??

Nobody's Home

Beans

is there a way to, and i hope this doesnt sound stupid, but say on my current desktop i have a background pic, with a certain gkrellm theme ect.. can I click the 'workspace switcher' to a second workspace and put a different background, theme ect.. and have them stay like that? so when i click the 3D button and they all slide back to choose the desktop/workspace, that i can pick between different backgrounds and theme one? Does this make any sense or am I crazy??
    You're making sense, at least to me.

What you're saying is a feature built-into KDE, but GNOME does not support this. However, there are some extra utilities which make this possible. I'm sorry I can't remember off-hand, but a little googling will get you there. That question was answered somewhere on these forums too.
    Photography by Indians

Beans

Attempting to start 3ddesktop server.
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Daemon started. Run 3ddesk to activate.
    Server not found after waiting 5 seconds.
    Could not find server.
    Try starting manually (3ddeskd)

what should i do?

Beans

I got the same output as above. help?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGreekStatue
    I got the same output as above. help?
    Did you guys fiddle with XGL? Do you have 3D acceleration activated? I'm sorry I have limited competency in these areas - please google or search on these forums to check if your 3d acceleration is set up properly.

As a check, you can boot using live cd, and check if 3ddesktop works from there.
    Photography by Indians

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

what exctly is the 3d desktop thing? I saw some screen shots, like the first post with three windows open, are those actual windows that just like rotate or something when you pick one to work in? or is it just a background type thing?
    3D desktop is an app that simply animates the switching of workplaces in Linux. It does not rotate actual windows or workspaces in its truest sense (XGL does that, 3ddesktop doesn't).

If you're looking for wobble effects and other spectacular 3d effects, you probably need XGL. I have resorted to 3d desktop because I couldn't configure XGL on my machine

It's relatively easy to try out 3ddesktop - it won't break your system. But failed XGL tries have left my system broken totally, twice.
    Photography by Indians

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    For fun, try:

Code:
    3ddesk --view=bigmoney
    It's Price Is Right style!

Great HowTo!
    This is the best......

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast