Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to edit PLACES menu (not bookmarks!)

Beans

Re: How to edit PLACES menu (not bookmarks!)

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I used this link.
    Ahh! Those were the instructions I tried to follow the first time; and I had indeed blundered - having duped the <deviceinfo version="0.2"> line for my second partition to hide. I fixed that.

The partitions disappeared from places immediately, without rebooting.
    I did not get that effect. I had to reboot before the two partitions I hid disappeared.

But it does work, and I am happy to not see the useless partitions anymore. Thanks for the pointer.

One interesting thing about the bookmarks side effect in Places is that, once there are enough of them, they go into a submenu of the Places menu. That's OK by me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    To people who actually want to remove the default entries on the Places menu, they are .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, the same as the other menu entries. The Places -> Home Folder launcher is /usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop, for example. You can change these the same as any other .desktop file, including by putting Hidden=True in there. This will change it for all users, but since most of the people who request this appear to be on single-user systems, it will do. Otherwise you can create .menu files that will exclude those .desktop files for just one user.

To DrHow, adding a bookmark will automatically add an entry to the Places menu, as mikewhatever said. If you want your Vista partition to be mounted, you can add an entry for it in /etc/fstab so that that partition gets mounted and you don't have to see the others on your Desktop.
    When I browsed /etc/ with Nautilus, I could not figure out what Catkiller was talking about. I even have Nautilus configured to show hidden files, but there is still much that it was not showing me. (It did not show the .desktop extensions and it did not even offer to open one with an editor.) When I looked at /etc/ using emacs dired, things became much more clear. However, editing the .desktop files remains a bit intimidating, since I have not found the instructions for that. I did find a tutorial on using fstab: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DrHow View Post
    However, editing the .desktop files remains a bit intimidating, since I have not found the instructions for that.
    Well, the specification is here.

When I've been changing them, though, I just look at ones that do what I want, and change others accordingly. That's how I've created launchers for things that don't come with them - like Unreal Tournament - for all users. It works for panel applets, AWN launchers and, in this case, the Places menu.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know if this will help you, but I was looking for a file to edit these links.
    And I found this under ~/.gtk-bookmarks

Beans

Maybe you should try to config user-dirs.dirs file? Try: gedit .config/user-dirs.dirs

Beans

Just to add a further confusion to the scene, I have also been looking high and low as to how to alter the action of the places menu. I my case ( as reported but unanswered http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=asunder) trying to get asunder to read a second USB CD drive resulted in the places menu becoming corrupt and selecting most of the entries results in the menu then launches asunder.

I have checked the actions of nautilus - OK
    I have confirmed that gtk-bookmarks contains the correct entries so well the H**l do I look to find the actual script that defines the actions taken when you click on the sub-entries of the places menu please?

bouncingwilf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have read through this list carefully. I have, in my Places menu, an entry called Removable Devices, under which appear partitions I have mounted through Nautilus in the past. The problem is that (for reasons which would probably only make sense to the person who decided on the whacky placement and naming of the nautilus config files) I now have duplicate entries for the same partitions, and some of these, when clicked, produce an Error dialogue which reads as follows:
    Unable to Mount SC57G0B
    Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS block devices using the external FUSE
    library. Either mount the volume as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated
    FUSE support and make it setuid root. Please see more information at
    http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

[I followed the link given, but the info there is not well written, and it's all beyond me at the moment]
    SO, all I wanted to do was remove the unfunctional entries from the Places sub-menu.
    Anyone else trying to do something similar ought to be aware that -
    1) if a partition is mounted on a /media directory, it is treated as "removable". [Thank you for that, CatKiller - it's the only mention I've found in two years of reading!]
    2) nautilus HIDES the ~/.gtk-bookmarks directory (another whacky geek decision, no doubt). You need to use a terminal to even see it.
    3) the Places menu has several divisions. Only the entries in the top division are bookmarks. These bookmarks can be edited directly from the nautilus menu bar, under Bookmarks->Edit. I've no idea what the other divisions are called.

I edited my fstab, replacing /media with /mnt (and creating the appropriate directories in /mnt).
    On reboot, the annoying "Removable Drives" entry in Places had disappeared. I could then add Bookmarks to my data partitions. This is not completely intuitive; you need to open the desired partition, not mereley select (highlight) it when you click on Bookmarks->Add Bookmark (Bookmarks->Edit Bookmarks does not permit additions). I could locate my desired partitions under File System->/mnt.

Thus, I achieved what (I hope) the Original Poster wanted.
    Many thanks to all who contributed to this discussion. I leave it to OP to mark this as solved, if apt.
    Phil Headford

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: How to edit PLACES menu (not bookmarks!)

Necro (apologies), but huge thanks. Was having issues with duplicate drive entries in Places thanks to changing into NTFS-3G on fstab.

Followed the guide above (especial thanks to CatKiller), remapped all drives to /mnt instead of /media, worked like a charm.

Now just trying to get my Ubuntu to stop deleting the /mnt folder for a spare ext4 drive I have whenever it logs out of it. '=)

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed, please do not post in threads that are a year or more old, and thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123