Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What determines download speed?

Beans

What determines download speed?

Here's my situation:

My mom is complaning of slow download speeds so I bring over my laptop to have something to compare it to. She has 3 meg DSL.

Her desktop is a dual core athlon (X2 5000 I think) with 2 gigs ddr2 800, gigabyte mobo w/ integrated ethernet, 250 gig hd, and an Nvidia graphics card. She's running Vista SP1 64.

My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6000 with an intel core2duo, 3 gigs ram, and Ubuntu 64.

I go to speedtest.net to check each PC and the download speed from the nearest server is a lot faster on my laptop. She's getting around 900kbsp and I'm getting around 1700kbps. Upload speeds are pretty much the same.

Her main complaint is the studdering of Youtube videos.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks and have a good one,
    H

Beans

Re: What determines download speed?

I'd go to www.speedguide.net they have loads of registry tweaks to maximize the windows network settings (most of which are relatively painless) and also plenty of practical MS advice.
    "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." William of Ockham
    Unanswered Posts Team Beginners Team Tennessee Team
    Please mark your thread "SOLVED" when done, and thank those that helped.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by HarriSeldon View Post
    Here's my situation:

My mom is complaning of slow download speeds so I bring over my laptop to have something to compare it to. She has 3 meg DSL.

Her desktop is a dual core athlon (X2 5000 I think) with 2 gigs ddr2 800, gigabyte mobo w/ integrated ethernet, 250 gig hd, and an Nvidia graphics card. She's running Vista SP1 64.

My laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6000 with an intel core2duo, 3 gigs ram, and Ubuntu 64.

I go to speedtest.net to check each PC and the download speed from the nearest server is a lot faster on my laptop. She's getting around 900kbsp and I'm getting around 1700kbps. Upload speeds are pretty much the same.

Her main complaint is the studdering of Youtube videos.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks and have a good one,
    H
    you don't say how either are connected. i'm guessing the desktop is wired, and the laptop is wireless. first check all connections, and make sure everything is tight. from the cable out of the wall, to the modem/router, and to the computer.

Beans

Desktop > Vista
    Laptop > Ubuntu

But I guess it cannot be that easy...
    Perhaps there are some hidden applications in vista consuming the download capacities?
    Keep it real. Keep it nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shooting Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oilchangeguy View Post
    you don't say how either are connected. i'm guessing the desktop is wired, and the laptop is wireless. first check all connections, and make sure everything is tight. from the cable out of the wall, to the modem/router, and to the computer.
    both are wired

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by oilchangeguy View Post
    x2. Your Layer 1 Network has a lot to do with transfer speeds.

How are the computers physically connected?
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    x2. Your Layer 1 Network has a lot to do with transfer speeds.

How are the computers physically connected?
    Telephone cord from the wall to a "Speedstream" modem, ethernet cable to computer. I hook one up, do the speed test, disconnect it, hook the other one up, and do the test again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

900 kbs ought to way more throughput then needed to watch a YouTube video without stuttering. I don't think download speed is the issue. It sounds like something is going on with her computer. Does she have something running in the background that is eating up her CPU cycles?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MTU settings are likely to be different. The Vista machine may be fragmeting packets, which causes a big speed hit if there is any packet loss or reordering

Or this my be DRM obsessed Vista trying to determine if the download is pirate

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisod View Post
    900 kbs ought to way more throughput then needed to watch a YouTube video without stuttering. I don't think download speed is the issue. It sounds like something is going on with her computer. Does she have something running in the background that is eating up her CPU cycles?
    mabey, I'll try to copy a screenshot of the registry.

Something else to consider: I just went to download.com and started to download AVG. The download window said the transfer rate was 42.1 KB/sec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast