Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Forums properties and methods

Beans

Re: Forums properties and methods

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntugeek
    Ok I will open a ticket thanks for your comments.
    Sorry, forgot to say: file it against ubuntu-docs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lerrup
    One question, would it be more accurate to say that these were the official Anglophone Ubuntu Forums?
    Well I don't think it makes a lot of difference, "English" in this case refers to the language

Beans

I realised that when I reread your post! Sorry everyone for appearing just a tad pedantic. *cough*
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by agger
    Much official Ubuntu work is being done by unpaid volunteers. But that's one thing.

To be constructive, I see two ways ahead for the forums:

1) Remain official - all moderators must sign and abide with the Ubuntu code of conduct, and moderation should be light-handed and only directed against obvious trolls and spammers.
    2) Go unofficial - it should be made clear from the layout, that these forums are not an official part of Ubuntu.

Personally, I'd prefer 1), but 2) would be another obvious solution. That would make the mailing lists and IRC channels the only "real" Ubuntu communication channels, and that would avoid confusion.
    That's a very good idea, agger. I think that on an official forum, all staff should at least be Ubunteros (have signed the Code of Conduct) and all admins should be Ubuntu Members (approved by the Community Council). I'll add that to the CC agenda
    Easy Ubuntu - setup in a snap
    My Blog | My Current Desktop

Support? Ubuntu Wiki
    Join us on IRC @ irc.freenode.net
    #ubuntu #kubuntu #ubuntu-motu #ubuntu-devel #kubuntu-devel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seth
    I think that on an official forum, all staff should at least be Ubunteros (have signed the Code of Conduct) and all admins should be Ubuntu Members (approved by the Community Council). I'll add that to the CC agenda
    That is an interesting idea, which I would tend to agree with. I believe it has been discussed in the past. However, if it can be agreed without recourse to the CC, I see no need to bother them with it by putting it on the Agenda. Many Ubuntu teams establish this sort of requirements without recourse to the CC.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    That's a very good idea, agger. I think that on an official forum, all staff should at least be Ubunteros (have signed the Code of Conduct) and all admins should be Ubuntu Members (approved by the Community Council). I'll add that to the CC agenda
    The three admins of this site are Ubuntu members and have been approved.. Just a FYI
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Right, I was aware of that.
    Easy Ubuntu - setup in a snap
    My Blog | My Current Desktop

Support? Ubuntu Wiki
    Join us on IRC @ irc.freenode.net
    #ubuntu #kubuntu #ubuntu-motu #ubuntu-devel #kubuntu-devel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek
    The three admins of this site are Ubuntu members and have been approved.. Just a FYI
    I signed it before I became a mod. I'm not sure exactly what the CC piece would entail. Is it akin to the line when you get married 'speak now or forever hold your peace?'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    Why?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
    Why?
    I guess because signing the document officially (geez I hate using that word nowadays) binds their actions to the CoC... Though the kind of people we put up as staff would do so on their own anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for an in-depth and clearly well-thought out reply.

If we are truly official then we need to be known as that from the ubuntu side.

#1: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/forums - Does not label us as official.

#2: When starting up Firefox in ubuntu the main page the user first gets does not even mention the forums the last time I checked it does however mention the Wiki, IRC and Mailing Lists. If we are an official method of support we should be listed there as well.
    I agree...this is something that needs to be addressed (probably to the CC).

#3: We need to have policy in place on the ubuntu side to protect the forums it has been stated before the current policy and CoC doesnt do a very good job of protecting or upholding the forum policy.
    Okay...I'm not sure I understand. You're referring to a CoC and policy addendum, not superceding the CoC and current policy, right?

#4: As I have said for over a year now and have requested multiple times more involvement from some of the CC members or staff at Ubuntu would be nice on this forum it would be nice to see a balance. By participating in the discussions here the understanding of how the forums differ from IRC and Mailing Lists would be prominent.
    This is something that bothers me about the CC...instead of the seats being occupied by random members it would make more sense to me for each seat to be occupied by a member from each of the main areas of the whole Ubuntu proper. I realize there's not much you can do about that, at least directly...I was just musing.

I need to make a comment on this as it was done on the forums however the project KB is working on is his. I don't see a reason to alienate him for wanting to offer choice, I am however not up on all the drama surrounding the project and the Doc team. Personal feelings and rude comments aside is his project hurting anything? None that I can see.
    Well, this thread has provided some clarification. However, now your statement brings up another question. Is the Doc KingBahamuts project or is this a forums project? We've been told (earlier in the thread) that it's a forum project. Now you seem to imply that it's a personal project. I'm once again a bit confused.

The first part your your comment I address above I think. For the second part the staff forum section will not be made open its a means of communication between the administrator and forum staff that doesn't pretain to anyone else. That would be like saying ok post all your PM's and Email's online for everyone to see. The staff section is that a staff section and there isn't need for any further discussion on the topic I will not change my stance.
    Here is where it looks like we simply differ in philosophy. I'll leave it alone.

Thanks again for such a good reply, ubuntu-geek. It's really appreciated.

Note: I started this reply about half-an-hour after ubuntu-geek posted and had to leave in the middle. I'm posting it without looking what else was posting between the time I started and now.
    If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
    ~Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast