Thread: usb.h missing usb_init

Beans

Arrow usb.h missing usb_init

Hi

I'm attempting to use eclipse on Hardy to brush up (OK, I'm learning from scratch) on C development. The interest is really in robotics (the arduino platform) and while setting the environment I noticed something odd.

One of the tests I am trying to run is accessing images from my USB webcam. I have libusb-dev and libusb-0.1-4.

I am also using CDT for C development.

When I include usb.h and then try and compile with even usb_init(); in my code eclipse complains that "undefined reference to `usb_init'". I can see usb.h in the include folder.

Here's the code (it is something from online)

Code:
    #include <usb.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
    	struct usb_bus *busses;
       	usb_init();
       	usb_find_busses();
       	usb_find_devices();
       	busses = usb_get_busses();
    	return 0;
    }
    Should I get a source from libusb and compile myself? Is there a reason libusb-dev etc., doesn't work here.

I googled for an answer but nothing seems to strike this problem. Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by affordablemagic; December 3rd, 2008 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Shorter example.

Beans

Smile Re: usb.h missing usb_init

Hi

I resolved the issue. Here it is in case someone comes across it themselves for libusb or indeed another library.

In `step 1` image attached you can see my simple usb project in eclipse. On the project folder i.e., `usb` in my example, right click, and select `Properties`.

You'll get a pop-up box. This is `step 2` image. Select the `C/C++ Build` option on the left, then under `GCC C Linker` drop-down list select `Libraries`. You can see on the image, highlighted w/ an orange background, the word `usb`. I added this Library by clicking the `add` icon and entering the text `usb` from the `Libraries (-l)` pane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb Re: usb.h missing usb_init

thank you for that saved me hours of frustration!

Beans

Re: usb.h missing usb_init

Wow, yeah... thanks a ton! I had a feeling I had to do something like that, but had no idea where to do it. Saved me a ton of time figuring it out, thanks again!

Beans

+1

thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

meh..

I knew I was forgetting the damn lib. Thanks

Beans
    Distro