Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MP3 Tag Writing Problems - Permissions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: MP3 Tag Writing Problems - Permissions?

Are you absolute sure you gave the exact filename? I just tried this on some MP3's that have been driving me crazy for ages with their "changing back to wrong tag"-behaviour. All I did to make it work was cd to the exact location, sudo and then the command given above. First I got an "Cannot open" error, double checked and found that the filename was wrong, tried again, and voilá. Finished off with tagging the files "just right" in Rhythmbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by golovan View Post
    Are you absolute sure you gave the exact filename? I just tried this on some MP3's that have been driving me crazy for ages with their "changing back to wrong tag"-behaviour. All I did to make it work was cd to the exact location, sudo and then the command given above. First I got an "Cannot open" error, double checked and found that the filename was wrong, tried again, and voilá. Finished off with tagging the files "just right" in Rhythmbox.
    Copied and pasted the filename. Multiple times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok. I tried with some other files now, and they didn't work either. some kind of "no apetag"-error (guess they don't have an apetag doh ). But at least the one's I overwrote earlier still holds on to their new tags. Hope you figure it out!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by golovan View Post
    ok. I tried with some other files now, and they didn't work either. some kind of "no apetag"-error (guess they don't have an apetag doh ). But at least the one's I overwrote earlier still holds on to their new tags. Hope you figure it out!
    Songbird ftw.

Beans
    Distro

Found a bug report over here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ox/+bug/235945

Seems as though others are experiencing. This problem is VERY annoying -- would like to fix.

Beans
    Distro

Anyone? Bump

Beans
    Distro

Now it is happening in Songbird 1.4.

I found a strange workaround in Songbird. If I edit the artist and genre tag in two different instances as well as first changing the artist and genre to a dummy name it seems to hold the changes. Even if the artist doesn't need to be edited, in order to rename the genre it seems as though I still have to follow all the workaround steps. Example:

Original Tag: Artist: Bloc Party / Genre: Alternative
    1st Tag Change, change genre to dummy: Bloc Party / 1DUMMY
    2nd Tag Change, change artist to dummy: 2DUMMY-Bloc Party / 1DUMMY
    3rd Tag Change, change genre to correct: 2DUMMY-Bloc Party / Indie Rock
    4th Tag Change, change artist back to correct: Bloc Party / Indie Rock

All that just to change the genre. Doesn't make any sense to me, but it works.

UPDATE: Okay, it gets even weirder. This workaround only works if I use a single character dummy genre, i.e. "z" or "x". If I use "xx" or anything more, it does not work.
    Last edited by jdorenbush; December 23rd, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: update

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234