Thread: Intermittent Internet connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Post Intermittent Internet connection

Hi all,

As per the title: running 8.04 on a desktop, wireless net connection using a Linksys USB. The net connection works fine on my wife's laptop (also running 8.04), and on this Windows XP laptop I'm currently connected with, so I guess it's either a problem with the adapter, or something to do with my network config on the desktop.

The problem is weird: I seem to have an extremely slow connection for a short while, then it completely dies. For example, I can connect to Gmail, but then the page errors out, saying that there was a connection problem. Also, Ubuntu is aware that there are updates available (icon appears in the notification panel), but when I go to download the packages, I get an error like "113 No route to host".

I don't even know where to start with this, so any help much appreciated - I don't want to be lugging this heap of junk XP brick home from work every evening!!

Regards,

Dave

Beans

Re: Intermittent Internet connection

i have the same problem and read thru all the "slow internet" threads, i disabled IPv6 in FF, and still no luck...after it works for a while than pages say "waiting for ]www. blah blah" than i get a pop up telling me i am trying to open a php type file, same connection works flawlessly in XP

someone please help

Beans

ok...found another thread that i missed before, done all the IPv6 changes suggested there in post #5 and #9 and everything seems to be running as it should now....will report back if that is not the case

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=181171

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks for the replies - I tried every suggestion in that link, but nothing seems to have worked, and I think I've spotted the problem.

One of the suggestions was to change my DNS entry to use my ISP's servers, which I did, but when I rebooted the machine, something had set the server back to 192.168.1.1

Is this something I need to amend on the router, or is something in Ubuntu hijacking this?

Really appreciate any replies on this, and thanks again to above responder...

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bumping this as I'm still having problems, to the point where I've just done a clean install, and I'm still having the same issue! I can get on the net, but the connection is gone even before a site has finished loading. Also have issues with BOINC, and Ubuntu updates. I'm pretty sure from reading other posts (above) that this is an issue with my DNS. Below is the output from my hosts and resolv.conf settings:

dave@scanlon-machine:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 scanlon-machine

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

dave@scanlon-machine:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    ### BEGIN INFO
    #
    # Modified_by: NetworkManager
    # Process: /usr/bin/NetworkManager
    # Process_id: 4822
    #
    ### END INFO

search home
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

I also have a laptop on the network (also running 8.04), and it has no problem with net access, so it's definitely not the router or my connection to the ISP.

Really appreciate some direction with this!!

Thanks, Dave

Beans

If you look at the wireless connection that is not having the problem and the connection that is what similarities are there. certain settings will be the same(dns etc) but others, IP address for instance need to be different, also check your mtu settings to see that they match. check to see which channel you are using and how the router or pc is set, is it running 802.1x ab or g or all of them, any of these can cause intermittent failures.

Hope its of some help.

Raz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by razy60 View Post
    If you look at the wireless connection that is not having the problem and the connection that is what similarities are there. certain settings will be the same(dns etc) but others, IP address for instance need to be different, also check your mtu settings to see that they match. check to see which channel you are using and how the router or pc is set, is it running 802.1x ab or g or all of them, any of these can cause intermittent failures.

Hope its of some help.

Raz
    Had the same problem after installing ubuntu 8.10 and using level one wnc-0301usb wireless usb stick.
    When I changed WEP setting from 48/128bit encryption to 128-bit passphrase it started working properly. Although still once every minute level drops from 100% to less than 50% and web pages take longer to load then.

Chris