Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting to unknown wireless networks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Connecting to unknown wireless networks

Quote Originally Posted by samiux View Post
    WPA/WP2 can be brute force without dictionary (proof is here).
    Brute-forcing only works if the AP uses a weak password. Good luck brute forcing my router, which has a random 128 bit password.

In any case, your point is moot with public open Wifi since it is *supposed* to allow everyone to connect. No brute forcing or WPA cracking necessary.

Once the hacker associated with the wifi router, s/he can attack any computer within the subnet with Man-in-the-Middle attack (MiTM). Or, by other means.
    This is true. That's why when on public Wifi you must take extra care when visiting sensitive sites (banks and the like). You must ensure the certificate you are seeing really is the bank's certificate. Probably the easiest way to do this is with Firefox add-ons. Certificate Patrol will store certs you trust and then alert you whenever they change. That would be one method of detecting MiTM. Another is Convergence. A third option would be to bypass the Wifi and only use it to connect to your own private VPN. You can set one of these up on your home router and then ssh into it whenever away from home. This will give you a secure tunnel.

Meanwhile, it is also risky to use so-called "Free wifi" in the public area when you do not sure the said "Free wifi" is setup by the hacker or not.

In additon, hackers can bypass the firewall too.

Samiux
    Puiblic Wifi is fine. I would just be careful about doing online banking or any other private stuff unless you are connecting to a private VPN or are very careful with certificate checking.
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to look into Firesheep in more depth.

Regarding the ssh tunnel, I've got a ssh server that I can use as a secure tunnel for web browsing etc, I think I'll get that ready if I need to connect to any event wifi.

I've not heard of ssl-strip before, this seems to clear things up a bit:

http://security.stackexchange.com/qu...slstrip-attack

Edit: Reading Hungry mans comments again, how would it be possible for an attacker to interact with any local services running on your system if your firewall etc is up and running?
    Last edited by mr-woof; October 9th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mr-woof View Post
    Edit: Reading Hungry mans comments again, how would it be possible for an attacker to interact with any local services running on your system if your firewall etc is up and running?
    By packet sniffing? I would use encryption to prevent an unauthorized user intercepting network traffic, especially on a public Wi-Fi network. As mentioned by rookcifer its safer to connect through a private VPN on a public Wi-Fi network.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12