Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Client Pc to NFS Server

Beans

Re: Client Pc to NFS Server Help

Post the contents of the server's /etc/exports file in [code][/code] tags.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Post the contents of the server's /etc/exports file in [code][/code] tags.
    bstrawt@panama:/etc$ cd /etc/exports
    bash: cd: /etc/exports: No such file or directory

it says i do not have a /etc/exports, i just went down the list and couldnt find it either. have you checked the picture that I posted?

Beans

/etc/exports is a file, not a directory. Display it onscreen with "more /etc/exports" or "cat /etc/exports".
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Client Pc to NFS Server Help

/etc/exports is a file, not a directory. Display it onscreen with "more /etc/exports" or "cat /etc/exports".

bstrizzy@nova:~$ more /etc/exports
    # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
    # to NFS clients. See exports(5).
    #
    # Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
    # /srv/homes hostname1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) hostname2(ro,sync,no_subt
    ree_check)
    #
    # Example for NFSv4:
    # /srv/nfs4 gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
    # /srv/nfs4/homes gss/krb5i(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    #
    /export (insecure,no_subtree_check,rw,nohide,fsid=0)
    /export/music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(no_root_squash,rw,nohide)
    bstrizzy@nova:~$

^ this is my server ssh

Beans

Re: Client Pc to NFS Server

That says the only exported directories are /export and /export/music. You're trying to mount a directory that isn't being shared via NFS. You'd need to have an entry for /home/bstrizzy/music in the exports file, or perhaps export the entire /home tree,

You could mount /export/music by replacing /home/bstrizzy/music with /export/music, though I have obviously have no idea whether the files you want are in that directory.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Client Pc to NFS Server

That says the only exported directories are /export and /export/music. You're trying to mount a directory that isn't being shared via NFS. You'd need to have an entry for /home/bstrizzy/music in the exports file, or perhaps export the entire /home tree,

You could mount /export/music by replacing /home/bstrizzy/music with /export/music, though I have obviously have no idea whether the files you want are in that directory.
    ok I changed the export name /home/bstrizzy/music which is my server directory and i tried sending it to my desktop directory and did not work.

bstrawt@panama:~$ sudo mount -t nfs4 192.168.1.7:/home/bstrizzy/music/mp3 /home/bstrawt/Music
    mount.nfs4: mounting 192.168.1.7:/home/bstrizzy/music/mp3 failed, reason given by server:
    No such file or directory
    bstrawt@panama:~$

i entered this on my desktop ssh terminal, this is the correct way to do it right?

Beans

You can only mount directories as they appear in /etc/exports, so remove the /mp3 at the end and try again.

However you may still run into a permissions problem if you try to mount /home/bstrizzy while logged into the client as /home/bstrawt. You can get around some of these issues by using "no_root_squash" in the options list in /etc/exports and mounting the directory as root with sudo on the client.

Have you read this?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

Beans
    Distro

You can only mount directories as they appear in /etc/exports, so remove the /mp3 at the end and try again.

However you may still run into a permissions problem if you try to mount /home/bstrizzy while logged into the client as /home/bstrawt. You can get around some of these issues by using "no_root_squash" in the options list in /etc/exports and mounting the directory as root with sudo on the client.

Have you read this?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
    yeah i have read that, and the mp3 is at the end of the real file, it is where all my mp3s are actually located.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BStrizzy View Post
    yeah i have read that, and the mp3 is at the end of the real file, it is where all my mp3s are actually located.
    i have updated it to just /exports/music and deleted the mp3 part but for some reason it keeps telling me no such file or directory? I am suppose to do the code on my desktop ubuntu right?

Beans

Check this:

- First, you have to bind the real directory on your server with the pseudo directory that you'll export to the client. For example:
    Directory on the server: /home/music
    Directory to export: /export/music
    Binding the directories: mount bind -t /home/music /export/music

-
    Edit the /etc/exports file. Here is where you write the directory to share with the client.
    Code:
    /export ipclient(rw,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,sync)
                  /export/music ipclient(rw,no_subtree_check,sync,nohide)
    - Edit the /etc/fstab file and add this line, so you do not have to bind the directories every time when you reboot:
    Code:
     /home/music /export/music   none    bind  0  0
    - Now, go to the Client, edit the /etc/default/nfs-common (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto).

- On the client, mount -t nfs4 IPSERVER:/music /directory/example/client

CHECK if you have the directory /directory/example/client created.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast