Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EvE online trinity v2 graphics engine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: EvE online trinity v2 graphics engine

Quote Originally Posted by AthlonMDK View Post
    dont know if that is the kind off support we want... I payed for good support but got crap... now i am really considering revoking my payment for eve until they fix it... or just going to WoW where it WORKS FLAWLESSLY WITHOUT OFFICIAL LINUX SUPPORT...
    Hey, forgot to add in that your statement, the one quoted above, makes me think your a Linux noob. Thats cool, im one too relatively speaking, but at least I know how to report bugs so that they can be fixed. In fact, I reported several to CCP, and they fixed them right away. Go figure. If you really are having trouble, why dont you do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Smile Re: EvE online trinity v2 graphics engine

Quote Originally Posted by buntunub View Post
    If WoW works via Wine or Cedega its not because Blizzard even lifted Transgaming to make a FREE client.
    As far as i recall you pay a monthlee fee... so free it is not

It works on ALL my machines flawlessly, including my old P3 system with 512M RAM and an old crappy Nvidia 440MX. This was with simply downloading and installing the client without doing anything else to tweak or configure at all. Add in the fact here that I have quite a few RL friends who use Linux at home (hey, birds of a feather flock together) and THEY have no trouble running the Linux client on their varied and assorted machines... Add in more the fact that not all of my friends run Ubuntu (one runs Fedora 8 and uses ATi, another runs Slackware, also ATi), so that means they used different clients, and still have no trouble running EVE. Now, I expected at least one of them to have some issues, but no. They all report no trouble experienced. Weird huh?
    Problem with linux support is that it has not been thoroughly tested with EVE while for windows it has been "tested" for almost 4-5 years linux support is just (from beta) a few weeks, so it still needs maturing. My point in this is that there is no real linux support it is just or wine or cedega(=wine) shell around the windowsclient so you cannot claim "real linux support". It has a directx engine not OpenGL. So it has as much support as WoW with wine. Unlike Unreal tournament / id software games. Another thing i want to mention is that "non-windows support" is not done inhouse which i very much regret so bug fixing will take alot more time. And as far as i know Transgaming will only make the installer (wine-shell) and will not further support it.

I agree with you that with WoW all came from the community.

I still think to revoke payment until they fix it... why pay while it does not work

p.s.; did not wanna start flamewar or something... Just expected more from CCP, perhaps i just expected id software kinda support but didnt get it... started windows installation see how it looks with SM 3.0

well happy playing ya all!!!!!!!!! other ppl also got problems with installation?
    Last edited by AthlonMDK; December 6th, 2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: xtra info added

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As far as i recall you pay a monthlee fee... so free it is not

Problem with linux support is that it has not been thoroughly tested with EVE while for windows it has been "tested" for almost 4-5 years linux support is just (from beta) a few weeks, so it still needs maturing. My point in this is that there is no real linux support it is just or wine or cedega(=wine) shell around the windowsclient so you cannot claim "real linux support". It has a directx engine not OpenGL. So it has as much support as WoW with wine. Unlike Unreal tournament / id software games. Another thing i want to mention is that "non-windows support" is not done inhouse which i very much regret so bug fixing will take alot more time. And as far as i know Transgaming will only make the installer (wine-shell) and will not further support it.

I agree with you that with WoW all came from the community.

I still think to revoke payment until they fix it... why pay while it does not work

p.s.; did not wanna start flamewar or something... Just expected more from CCP, perhaps i just expected id software kinda support but didnt get it... started windows installation see how it looks with SM 3.0

well happy playing ya all!!!!!!!!! other ppl also got problems with installation?

Most of this is wrong.

1. I said the CLIENT is free, and FREE it is.

2. Transgaming is actively working with CCP and actively fixing bugs as they are reported. CCP and Transgaming both closely monitor the EVE linux forums as well and post thereto, regularly. Again, you are wrong if you think its going to take time to fix your bugs (if you actually have any).

3. Cedega/Cider uses the wne framework, but it all ends there. Whatever work they do to thier shell is independant of that. Yes, Cedega is proprietary, and NO the EVE client is not. The two are different because Transgaming is using an older cedega wrapper for the EVE client, but its tested, and tested regularly, and was also tested prior to Trinity2 release, by them and shown to be both stable and working, as it is for most.

4. EVE actively supports the Linux community by providing a Linux client. Be that in whatever form, it matters not at all. The very fact that they do ANYTHING for the Linux community, is a mammoth step forward and a win for us any way you look at it. CCP didnt have to do this. Market conditions didnt drive them to do this. In fact, I cannot think of a reason for WHY they did this, because it probably was not in their short term interests any more than it would be for Blizzard or EA or any other major player. Perhaps they see some long term market gain there, but given the Linux communities general malcontented tight fists, this probably wont happen. Im sure they realize this, but they did it anyway.

5. Creating a rerwrite on thier whole framework to create a Linux client is really a pipe dream. Can you (or anyone) explain to me HOW this can happen given that its a DirectX game? Now, im sure when CCP first came up with this game they didnt sit around in some back room plotting with M$ to take over the world by writing thier code to be DirectX, aka M$ compatible and how that would lock out the Linux crowd.

They did it because thats where the market share was, and because its supposedly easier to code in DirectX than it is in OpenGL, or at least it was back then, or so I have heard from many. Whatever. Fact is now, they are creating an open doorway to both the MAC and Linux crowd where no official one existed prior to now. This is really all that matters here and now imo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

good to see the trinity v2 graphics will be in the first part of '08 I was worried that mac/linux users would be damned to play with 2001 graphics for all eternity (not that the graphics in eve are bad). It's also good to see that CCP actually cares about people other than M$ users

could you please explain more about how you got the trinity v2 graphics engine to work? I am currently hooked on it on my w1ndows partition, but I'd really like to not have to restart my computer to make eve look shinier.
    The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better... so I installed Linux
    Need help with shell commands? click
    Need MORE help with shell commands? advanced click

Beans

The Trinity Premium client (the one with the nice new graphics) does NOT work on cedega, is NOT supported by the official linux client, and is only able to get to the login screen with Wine. The Trinity Classic official client works fine. The Trinity Classic windows client running through Wine does not because of some of the new features.

I also do not support the EVE official client. It uses Cedega and Transgaming is legendary for their bad support and slow development. The claim is that they will support Trinity by Q1. I highly doubt that. Wine will most likely fully support SM3.0 before Cedega does. Cedega is bad for linux in my opinion, it is the backwards way of doing things.

Oh and buntunub, the WoW client is free too. You can download the free trial client and when you want to, you can upgrade to the full game and it patches the rest of the game in. Oh and if you say that "No the WoW trial client is limited." then you don't know EVE. The EVE client is limited as well when you are using a trial account. (I prefer the WoW way of doing it as then you don't waste time downloading more content than you would ever use.)
    Last edited by Ergzay; December 7th, 2007 at 09:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Well as i said i do not want to start flame war.

So already ppl playing it?
    Someone tried one of the new ships?

Is it now possible to own a titan / dreadnought in 1.0?
    Have they also changed (improved) music / sounds? (they were not very good imo)

Graphics are not everything... to make a game with good gameplay (like EVE)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ergzay View Post
    Oh and buntunub, the WoW client is free too. You can download the free trial client and when you want to, you can upgrade to the full game and it patches the rest of the game in. Oh and if you say that "No the WoW trial client is limited." then you don't know EVE. The EVE client is limited as well when you are using a trial account. (I prefer the WoW way of doing it as then you don't waste time downloading more content than you would ever use.)
    The WoW client is now free... FOR WINDOWS USERS ONLY! They do NOT have anything for Linux like CCP has done. Care to comment on that?

All I see here of objections to what CCP has done is more whining about Transgaming garbage. CCP is not Transgaming. Understand? They used Transgaming because they are a company involved in making DirectX stuff work in Linux and offer support for it. Please explain how this is bad for Linux? Please explain, in some detail, what Blizzard has done to reach out to the Linux Community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

The WoW client is now free... FOR WINDOWS USERS ONLY! They do NOT have anything for Linux like CCP has done. Care to comment on that?
    I need to admit that the Intention of CCP is ofcourse very good. Although a wine shell around the windows binaries in installer is probably not the best way to do that. Problem in this is that CCP has a directx engine and rewriting that to OpenGL will take too much time and the costs would be too high.

So i really understand your point, as that CCP at least has some courage (unlike Blizzard) to make an linux installer. And to really acknowledge the existence of linux MMO / EVE gamers.

Btw blizzard had in the beta a linux installer but for the final they dropped it due to too much costs.

Before the CEDEGA installer CCP actively supported the wine comaptiblility of EVE! SO... my RESPECT to CCP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I need to admit that the Intention of CCP is ofcourse very good. Although a wine shell around the windows binaries in installer is probably not the best way to do that. Problem in this is that CCP has a directx engine and rewriting that to OpenGL will take too much time and the costs would be too high.

So i really understand your point, as that CCP at least has some courage (unlike Blizzard) to make an linux installer. And to really acknowledge the existence of linux MMO / EVE gamers.

Btw blizzard had in the beta a linux installer but for the final they dropped it due to too much costs.

Before the CEDEGA installer CCP actively supported the wine comaptiblility of EVE! SO... my RESPECT to CCP
    My point exactly. We, meaning all of us within the Linux world, should really start applying pressure, meaning with our WALLETS to get more support. Reward those who help us, and punish those who dont. This is how the business world works in the Free Market.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So already ppl playing it?
    Someone tried one of the new ships?

Is it now possible to own a titan / dreadnought in 1.0?
    Have they also changed (improved) music / sounds? (they were not very good imo)

Graphics are not everything... to make a game with good gameplay (like EVE)
    Yes, lots of people are playing it. Since I posted my in game nic (Killerboozer) here, quite a few Ubuntu users have contacted me to let me know they are playing. Some joined my Corp as well. I would prefer we all are in the same Corp, so at least we dont kill each other. At the very least, I was hoping we could form a network together to help each other out with any issues we might have with the client, tweaks, etc.

I dont think any of the new ships are available, as nobody has made any yet. Not even sure the BP's are on the streets, but some few may be, probably with Band of Brothers, as they seem to have some very giving game Devs on their side, and are into the unethical aspects of the game in great detail. As far as Titans... Those have been in the game for quite some time now. BoB has 6 or 7 last I checked. They basically own zero sec, so there ya go. Dreadnaughts?.. Those are around as well and have been for a good while. You wont see those in game but rarely though, as their owners are extremely reluctant to use/lose them due to costs and time involved. They are more trophy items than anything else, and the skills required to use them properly take months at a time to learn.

The graphics engine of the Linux client. It currently does support the new models, because I get them. The ships that I see now are rendered much differently than before, and look much nicer. I dont get the more advanced stuff, but we will all get that within the next 2-3 months. Its just bling bling stuff, and adds zero to gameplay. In fact, I guarantee that if I could waste you prior to the new Graphics Engine, I will STILL waste you now! Its not going to help you one iota in actually playing the game. You will just look at it and say, "Ooo! Look at the pretty colors!!", while I, or someone else, blows you out of the sky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast