Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch from windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Making the switch from windows.

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Why do you need Windows for online banking? For several years I've done that with Linux alone.
    Me too - no problems whatsoever -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Why do you need Windows for online banking? For several years I've done that with Linux alone.

come live here and try to repeat that sentence

online banking works for normal conumers. digital certificate+firefox, Chrome or Opera.

but for companies a special USB stick with chip inside is needed and they only make windows drivers for that chip. some banks work with special card readers. usally they too need windows to run.

there is a bank that supports all OS. there are two issues with them though - 1. they do not have an office in my town. 2. would have to pay extra comission when getting money on ATM sicne they have only few ATMs. 3. their solution revolves arround using Oracle Java which is a very safe platform i believe....
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I need to look into dual boot. Is there any way that I can toggle back and forth between windows 7 and Ubuntu? I have Ubuntu installed on a second HD and sometimes I need to go to Win7 to do business things through Web. I play CS and need to run Source. I'm a little worried about my graphics not running clean too. I don't want to have to shut down windows to start Ubuntu. What do I need to do?

Beans

You will have to log out and then choose which OS at startup.

Beans

Unless your computer is starved for memory, I suggest you try installing VirtualBox on your Windows machine, then install Ubuntu into a "virtual machine." This avoids the need for dual-booting. In fact, many computers these days come with all four primary hard drive partitions in use which makes formatting a machine for dual-boot a daunting task.

Make sure you install the "extensions pack" as well.

With a VM, you can switch between operating systems just by a mouse click or Alt-Tab.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

we can install both operating system in our system is it posssible or not? incase is it possible howcan we install

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cindrella View Post
    we can install both operating system in our system is it posssible or not? incase is it possible howcan we install
    Perfectly possible (a little trickier maybe if you have a machine pre-installed with Windows8). But I suggest you start a thread in the Installation subforum if you have a technical question about dual booting Windows and Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Unless your computer is starved for memory, I suggest you try installing VirtualBox on your Windows machine, then install Ubuntu into a "virtual machine." This avoids the need for dual-booting. In fact, many computers these days come with all four primary hard drive partitions in use which makes formatting a machine for dual-boot a daunting task.

Make sure you install the "extensions pack" as well.

With a VM, you can switch between operating systems just by a mouse click or Alt-Tab.
    I am currentlt running 8gigs, 6 core and 2 hard drives = 1T and 500MB. I have ubuntu installed on the 500MB drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    come live here and try to repeat that sentence . . . . but for companies a special USB stick with chip inside is needed and they only make windows drivers for that chip. . . .
    Too bad about your banking situation. You have my sympathy.

I understand only too well, because I keep Windows XP running in VirtualBox on my desktop, almost solely because there is no Linux personal computer software for doing US income-tax returns (and because I refuse to prepare my return "in the cloud").

P.S. OTOH, if my impression that you live in Colorado is correct, then I'd gladly trade locales with you, especially in summertime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@rewylls: actually the online versions of the tax programs (like Tax Act which is the one i use and absolutely love) are VERY SECURE and encypted also...read the information on their link regarding security:
    http://www.taxact.com/security-center.asp

So, you shouldn't be so afraid about using it...and it would give you the opportunity to finally free yourself of that "windows noose"
    Been using them (first Turbo Tax and in recent years switched to Tax Act) for years and never been compromised in any way...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 10th, 2013 at 01:53 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast