Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Distribution in Kenya?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Distribution in Kenya?

Hi Guys,
    I'm on my first Ubuntu installation and living abroad. I appreciate the African connection to the name, but does anyone in Africa have practical access to it?
    Do we have any point of distibution for Ubuntu or any other Linux in Kenya?
    If so what is the address.
    Gashikar
    a coffee drinker

Beans

Re: Distribution in Kenya?

All I know is that in South Africa there are quite a few people. I think that there are only about 10 or so people max in Kenya that have Ubuntu installed(including me).
    I don't think there are any installation parties happening in these places or any form of distribution. Davehat does install Ubuntu on local computers so I have heard(and maybe more people in Africa do that too).
    Last edited by EdThaSlayer; January 8th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Ed's probably right - as far as I can tell there really very few people using Ubuntu here in Kenya (and doubly the case in Nyanza). I distributed 9 copies of 5.10 around Kisumu and have installed 6.06 on a few machines in a nearby mission that has computing classes (lessons there go a bit further than the usual "how to use MS Office" and includes one on 2how to re-build computers by cannibalising other broken ones...)

I'm probably going to have to switch to using Xubuntu - not due to my machine but due to the fact that many of the people I meet who have computers have machines that either lack the requisite amount of memory or have tiny hard drives.

Repo access is another issue (no at home internet for 99.9999% of the population), though thanks to a handy tip off on another thread here, I'm slowly building an "apt on CD" compilation of the best add on bits. When I start pushing ubuntu on people mercilessly, it won't be long before they want to listen to mp3s and they can't without access to universe repos...

Another thing I'm interested in right now is GPRS support on Ubuntu. It seems to be a little...

...erm

lacking?

Of course, that means I should be offering to pitch in and help (adds another to do to the to mountain)! I'm not a real proper techie (just a hobbiest with fierce determination) so instead of making some fancy new piece of kit, I plan (at some stage soon) to try and get a guide going for how to connect to the internet via GPRS using different phones and different methods (USB/Bluetooth/semaphore/whatever); currently if you search GPRS on ubuntuforums.org right now, you get more or less a world of pain...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

hello guys, anybody knows how i can get a copy of edgy 6.10? i have tried downloading, but it is a real pain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    I think that there are only about 10 or so people max in Kenya that have Ubuntu installed(including me).
    I beg to differ with you if I'm to talk from my experience with installations. I do a cuople of installation rounds in Nairobi since late 2005 and precisely I have done 16 installations, distributed around 30-something CDs and a few troubleshoots here and there. Locally we don't have a distribution point for original CDs unless you want FTP downloads.

About GPRS and ubuntu, I'm personally intertested in that coz I can't really wait to have Internet at my home desktop PC ( currently I use college's connection). I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I need some advice here: I'm trying to write a device driver for my GPRS enabled nokia phone ( actually I bought this book on writing linux device drivers) and so far I've managed to register it as a character device via mknod. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldotis View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Don't re-invent the wheel?

Long time no and all that Ronald...

First off, what model Nokia do you have, what method are you using to connect (USB, Bluetooth), what software have you installed? Let me know - I'm working on sorting out a 6021 (and a Sonyericsson K510i). According to everyone (Safaricom, Celtel) this 6021 baby has EDGE. Unfortunately, Kisumu doesn't (for PAYG)

A good starting point for Linux GPRS etc is here:

http://tuxmobil.org/phones_survey_nokia.html

As ever, it won't get you all the way, but there's hella good tips. I'll kep you posted...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think Ronald has copies in NBO. I only have the 64bit version right now. I have 6.06 for i386 somewhere I think... If you're interested, PM me.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Distribution in Kenya?

Quote Originally Posted by davehat View Post
    I think Ronald has copies in NBO. I only have the 64bit version right now. I have 6.06 for i386 somewhere I think... If you're interested, PM me.
    hi ronald how can get hold ubuntu edgy, i have 6.06 for i386 and would like to upgrade to 6.10.

Beans

Thanks dave for that link, honestly I've also been away from the net during my holidays so i couldn't get enough resources.

About edgy CDs, I personally don't have one but a friend told me that he managed to download one sometimes last year has them. I hope you're within NBI so that I can hand them to you. I only have a beta release as per now.
    Last edited by ronaldotis; January 11th, 2007 at 07:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldotis View Post
    Thanks dave for that link, honestly I've also been away from the net during my holidays so i couldn't get enough resources.

About edgy CDs, I personally don't have one but a friend told me that he managed to download one sometimes last year has them. I hope you're within NBI so that I can hand them to you. I only have a beta release as per now.
    thanks let me know how we can get in touch so that i can make a copy too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast