Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Hi typos,

Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    Sorry, I cut the top off the terminal, but not the bottom:
    Code:
    jason@jason-desktop:~$ mplayer -v 01 - Track 1.ra
    [...]

It seems (I m no expert tho) that it doesnt know where the file is, should there be something in the command to tell it?
    Indeed, you have to give the correct path to the file and also escape the spaces in the filename. If the file is on your Desktop try:

Code:

cd $HOME/Desktop
    mplayer -v '01 - Track 1.ra'
    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi mc4man,

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It appears if using external libass it must be shared/static, - just to note most will also have a shared libass in /usr (dependency of gstreamer bad plugin.
    Hmmmm..... I try to avoid messing with the web of dependencies, something always seems to break . I may very well continue with the external libass on my Slackware box for personal experimentation and keep to the internal libass for this guide at the moment. The MPlayer mailing list suggests that some time soon MPlayer will switch to the external library, hopefully as an svn external as there will be no dependency issues with Ubuntu.

Andrew

Beans

A few add. on libass -
    the configure option isn't needed here, definitely will fall under auto and go with external if version requirement is met.

As to whether a good idea to add or replace libass - can't say really, don't have a file to test with the rather short list of gstreamer players that would use libass

Using checkinstall (vs. a debian package(s) build

Because the ubuntu package is libass4, there is no package conflict if installed as libass to /usr/local. There would be 2 libass.so.4.0.0, the /usr/local taking preference.

Or if packaged as libass4 (version 0.9.9-1), then it would replace the current libass4 (and also provide the headers ala libass-dev, which couldn't be installed, - a good thing actually) and at the very least satisfy the bad plugin dep.

Either way not a big risk - though would be good to test.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Andrew,

I compiled the mplayer using this guide (fresh ubuntu) and just noticed that after pausing a video and resuming it stutters for a second or two and only then resumes a normal playback.

I have audio output driver setup to pulseaudio and video setup to xv. I have ATI x1400 video card with 128 dedicated and 128 shared memory, 2ghz cpu, 2gb ram. It is definitely not resource issue as mplayer used to work fine in previous installations (even in 10.04). Any ideas?

Thank you.

Beans

Hi gillza,

Quote Originally Posted by gillza View Post
    I compiled the mplayer using this guide (fresh ubuntu) and just noticed that after pausing a video and resuming it stutters for a second or two and only then resumes a normal playback.

I have audio output driver setup to pulseaudio and video setup to xv.
    I have just recompiled and unfortunately I cannot duplicate this on my own setup. Could you experiment a little with the sound settings an see if mplayer -ao alsa filename or mplayer -ao oss filename make any difference? (Where of course you substitute the actual name of your file for filename.)

BTW did you find the guide easy to work through or any areas confusing? I am trying a slightly different approach with this iteration of the guide and I am keen to adjust any difficult areas.

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi gillza,

I have just recompiled and unfortunately I cannot duplicate this on my own setup. Could you experiment a little with the sound settings an see if mplayer -ao alsa filename or mplayer -ao oss filename make any difference? (Where of course you substitute the actual name of your file for filename.)

BTW did you find the guide easy to work through or any areas confusing? I am trying a slightly different approach with this iteration of the guide and I am keen to adjust any difficult areas.

Andrew
    Andrew

The guide is super easy (too easy for my taste hehe ) it is all copy paste basically. I have been following your guides for a while now and pretty much know what is going on during each step. The most helpful part of it is the installation of all the dev files. I myself would like to know how you compile this list ?

Regarding the issue: Um.. it is rather strange but now I can't replicate the problem myself. I guess I should have waited longer before jumping to conclusions. All I did was change between xv and xv (0 Radeon textured video) back and forth and now it all works just fine with either of the settings selected..

Thank you for the guide!

Beans

Hi gillza,

Quote Originally Posted by gillza View Post
    The guide is super easy (too easy for my taste hehe ) it is all copy paste basically. I have been following your guides for a while now and pretty much know what is going on during each step. The most helpful part of it is the installation of all the dev files. I myself would like to know how you compile this list ?
    I have deliberately made the guide a little easier for those who are new to building software such as MPlayer in the hope that the guide will be more accessible to the average Ubuntu user. Whether or not this proves to the correct course time will tell I guess.

As for the -dev files, there are several techniques used to get this list. I have always started with the build-depends for the typical Ubuntu package. This can now be seen in the MPlayer source code in the newly refurbished debian/control. These need to be screened a little as they are not all relevant to an svn package. Next is the slightly painful process of running ./configure and seeing what is found and not found automagically by MPlayer and then simply adding the required files until MPlayer is happy.

After this some detective work is required and close attention to the MPlayer mailing lists. A classic example of this is the saga of amr playback. This started as closed source / patent encumbered software from an external source that had to be compiled separately. When libopencore-amr first came into being this also had to be compiled from an external source until a little later Medibuntu hosted the files. Finally we have the -dev files conveniently hosted by the Ubuntu repository. Each of these changes had to be catered for in these guides. The leapfrogging of x264 versions and dependency clashes was even worse until I stopped building MEncoder and that particular pain was gone .

Regarding the issue: Um.. it is rather strange but now I can't replicate the problem myself. I guess I should have waited longer before jumping to conclusions. All I did was change between xv and xv (0 Radeon textured video) back and forth and now it all works just fine with either of the settings selected..
    In that case I take full credit for solving your problem .

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Why is x264 disabled in configure ?
    When I play 1080p video I get alot of bugging which I dont get with xbmc.
    VDPAU is used in both cases.
    Anyone knows what could be the issue ?
    When I dont disable x264 I cannot make without errors.
    " If you aint first, your last " - Rees Bobby

from the movie : " Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby "

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its usually preferred to compile the latest x264 and use that rather than use the older one in mplayer.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Hi mad_max,

Quote Originally Posted by mad_max0204 View Post
    Why is x264 disabled in configure ?
    When I play 1080p video I get alot of bugging which I dont get with xbmc.
    x264 is disabled in the ./configure string as this guide does not build MEncoder, and x264 is not required for h264 playback by MPlayer. It is a small matter though to build x264 and then build MPlayer as well as MEncoder..

Andrew

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast