Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to view videos in browsers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to view videos in browsers

you might have tried this but try chromium web browser, if it doesnt play any video, type following

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    and see if it works..........

Beans

I just tried both chromium web browser and the other command. Just as before the box for the video will not load. I see the video that is suppose to play on the previous screen. When I choose a video, that is when the problem comes. The next page will load everything for the page except the main box where the video is suppose to be. In Chromium as well as Opera I get the Shockwave has crashed message. In Firefox I get just an empty space where the video is suppose to be. This one has got me stumped.

Pharoahphx

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoahphx View Post
    I just tried both chromium web browser and the other command. Just as before the box for the video will not load. I see the video that is suppose to play on the previous screen. When I choose a video, that is when the problem comes. The next page will load everything for the page except the main box where the video is suppose to be. In Chromium as well as Opera I get the Shockwave has crashed message. In Firefox I get just an empty space where the video is suppose to be. This one has got me stumped.

Pharoahphx

I am having the same problem, too. Exactly what you are saying. Had 2 of 4 machines all of a sudden develop this problem: both were working until about a week ago. Both running Xubuntu 12.04. I have tried soooo many things on this machine that I just wiped it and re-nstalled fresh copy. Still no Youtube videos.

Beans
    Distro

YouTube doesn't run on flash anymore, it uses HTML5

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanac View Post
    YouTube doesn't run on flash anymore, it uses HTML5
    How do I get / install / activate that?

Beans
    Distro

It's a new web standard. Modern browsers should automatically support it in the same way they support HTML 4.

Make sure you don't have plugins that might be interfering with YouTube like ad or media blockers. If you've tried it with two browsers and the problem is in both, the only thing I can think at is possibly a codec issue. I think YouTube uses .mp4 format, so double check your codec for that. The player is HTML5 but it will still call on your systems codec. Maybe try purging your ubuntu-restricted-extra package, browser and any other codec packages you think could be involved.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-restricted-extras firefox chromium opera
    Then re-install the restricted extras package, then your preferred browser. That's the nuke everything and start again approach so just be a bit cautious, it shouldn't loose any personal data or anything like that, but especially be aware of other packages that might get selected for removal and don't go through with it if it tries to remove ubuntu-desktop or any other core package. The simulation run I've just done suggests this won't happen. If you want to check what will be removed first you can run

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge -s ubuntu-restricted-extras firefox chromium opera
    To do a simulation run. This will tell you everything that will happen when you do it for real. One thing that could possibly vanish is bookmarks, so maybe back those up before hand.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    How do I get / install / activate that?
    https://www.youtube.com/html5

opt in for the trial then go to one or more youtube videos and see if that works.

I just played several videos with adobe flash with no problems.

Using another system, one on which I have opted in to the HTML5 trial, I played a couple of videos. One played in HTML5 and the other played in Flash.

I know youtube is moving to HTML5 but if I can play videos in both formats, then HTML5 is not yet default. .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanac View Post
    It's a new web standard. Modern browsers should automatically support it in the same way they support HTML 4.

Make sure you don't have plugins that might be interfering with YouTube like ad or media blockers. If you've tried it with two browsers and the problem is in both, the only thing I can think at is possibly a codec issue. I think YouTube uses .mp4 format, so double check your codec for that. The player is HTML5 but it will still call on your systems codec. Maybe try purging your ubuntu-restricted-extra package, browser and any other codec packages you think could be involved.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-restricted-extras firefox chromium opera
    Then re-install the restricted extras package, then your preferred browser. That's the nuke everything and start again approach so just be a bit cautious, it shouldn't loose any personal data or anything like that, but especially be aware of other packages that might get selected for removal and don't go through with it if it tries to remove ubuntu-desktop or any other core package. The simulation run I've just done suggests this won't happen. If you want to check what will be removed first you can run

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge -s ubuntu-restricted-extras firefox chromium opera
    To do a simulation run. This will tell you everything that will happen when you do it for real. One thing that could possibly vanish is bookmarks, so maybe back those up before hand.
    I gave that a shot, and I am still at square one. Would starting at the beginning and working through different solutions work? I have tried so many I am not sure where to begin to try and resolve this. I don't want to downgrade back to 10.04, but I didn't have these issues until the upgrade. I like other aspects of the recent upgrade, just this issue.

Pharoahphx

Beans
    Distro

I'm running 12.04 with no flash related trouble.

I guess the final option would be to backup your none replaceable files (ideally your entire home directory) and re-install your Ubuntu installation from the ground up. If you save your entire home directory check the browsers are working BEFORE you restore all the files therein. That way if there is an error in one of your personal config files you'll at least know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12