What about PERL

no.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: FAQ: Web Development in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by days_of_ruin View Post
    no.

Anywho, mod_python is considered bad juju by alot of people.

At #python.web we warn against using mod_python. Here's a handful of the reasons:

1. It complicates your upgrade process, as versions of Python, Apache, and mod_python must be coordinated. The appropriate versions are not always available for some combinations.
    2. It makes user separation or chrooting of webapps impossible.

If you're using PHP and mod_python, and you're using MySQL in both languages, you generally must coordinate versions of MySQL as well, or suffer lots of configuration headaches. The same applies for many other popular C libraries.
    4. Apache's processes will be heavier because you're embedding a python interpreter in it.
    5. Debugging a wsgi app is a lot easier.
    6. mod_python is a module for Apache, which is tested less than other well known Apache modules such as mod_proxy. Because of this reason the server administrator (which might not be you) might not want to install this module for security reasons.
    7. You wont find a lot of hosting companies offering mod_python, which makes wsgi applications (which can be deployed through several ways) very flexible in your quest for a hosting company.
    8. Using nginx as a front-end is usually a more speedy and flexible solution.
    From mod_python entry in python wiki

Anywho, WSGI is considered the way to go these days for python based web development. Most frameworks support wsgi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok here is what I use at work, (I develop for the web btw)

• Editor: gPHPEdit (in the ubuntu repos)
    • Web framework: code igniter (its PHP and is supper for making quick efficient and secure websites)
    • Apache2 server with PHP5 and MySql 5 running.

I also edit my virtual hosts to point to my home 'Public' folder where I can edit my php / ECMAScript without worrying about permissions problems. I also edit my ECMAScript with gPHPEdit with the C/C++ code hignlighting on, (ECMAScript is part of the C family of languages to it looks fine).

I also make my login account part of the www-data group and set the web folders to 774 permissions.

If your concerned about w3c then install the web developer plugin for Firefox, it has a tools menu that will even validate offline pages and css. Also, if your gonna do any AJAX the firebug plugin makes this real easy as well as making CSS layout easy to experiment with.

As well as this I have a main ubuntu box running apache2 with the subversion module running a http SVN repo so I can keep running revisions of the sites/software I build. As I work along with another developer we can easily work on the same project and share changes easily.

For your page designs I recommend Inkscape as I have had comments from the designers in the agency I work for who have seen me using it and they say they thing its as good as Adobe Illustrator which is popular for advertising designers in the UK. And also it goes without saying that in the right hands The GIMP totally rocks.

Also, as far as I have seen, in the UK there isn't a great outcry for Python based websites and if your going to develop I would recommend PHP purely because your more likely to get work with it, bearing in mind that there millions of websites running PHP applications.

Well thats works for me, take a look at my website(http://www.mikehibbert.me.uk) which is made using all the tools I have metioned.

Mike
    Last edited by Mickeysofine1972; July 30th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm missing any information on java and .NET with also could be used to make server side web pages.
    Do we watch anime to live or do we live to watch anime?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Verminox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tatewaki View Post
    I'm missing any information on java and .NET with also could be used to make server side web pages.
    It is there just very basic. Maybe Vermminox is not a java developer...

Also I don't see .net having a place on Linux web servers...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drubin View Post
    Also I don't see .net having a place on Linux web servers...
    Mono http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cross-...rotomono2.aspx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I know about mono...

But to me this would be like installing wine so that you could run notepad/sol.exe

Beans

I know about mono...

But to me this would be like installing wine so that you could run notepad/sol.exe
    Not really. .net and mono are pretty much the same concept. You need .net or you need mono to use the same code (plus the server). Wine would be adding another layer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Not really. .net and mono are pretty much the same concept. You need .net or you need mono to use the same code (plus the server). Wine would be adding another layer.
    You want to run MS apps/code use MS(Windows) servers. I just felt it was not needed to have a fully functional tutorial to using .net (asp) code on a Linux forum.

This was my personal point if others feel I am wrong and we should support it then go ahead and write the tutorial and add it to the sticky.

Beans

You want to run MS apps/code use MS(Windows) servers. I just felt it was not needed to have a fully functional tutorial to using .net (asp) code on a Linux forum.

This was my personal point if others feel I am wrong and we should support it then go ahead and write the tutorial and add it to the sticky.
    .NET or ASP? Make up your mind

ASP is Windows only as far as I know.

.NET and mono are implemtations of the same standard, and one can use several languages on them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast