Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba fan not working

Beans

Toshiba fan not working

I am trying desperately to make Ubuntu work on my laptop. I want to use windows as little as possible. The fan on my Toshiba laptop never comes on. Once I get into processor heavy stuff my laptop overheats and shuts itself off. I have a screen shot from a device manager program and it appears to me that there is no driver for the fan. Now is there anyway to get a driver to make my fan work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Toshiba fan not working

Have you looked at all in BIOS? I've seen some that you can tell BIOS to take care of it (I assume without help from your Operating System) Or as a temporary fix you may be able to turn it to always on so you don't get shut off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try
    Code:
    sudo toshset -fan auto
    in a terminal (Applications-> Accessories-> Terminal). Important: if it asks you for password, you WILL NOT see the password being entered.
    Use Dropbox! Sign up using this link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg5Nzc5 and get free space!!
    Registered Linux User #525815
    Check out Musik - a FOSS text-to-music converter!

Beans

I checked the bios and did not see any fan options. The fan works perfectly fine in Windows Vista.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chaanakya_chiraag View Post
    Try
    Code:
    sudo toshset -fan auto
    in a terminal (Applications-> Accessories-> Terminal). Important: if it asks you for password, you WILL NOT see the password being entered.
    I get a message stating "required kernel toshiba support not enabled" I attached a screenshot of this message.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ah, the "Toshiba fan with Linux issue" again.

Toshiba apparently has a distaste for Linux. The fan control works just fine in Windows, since Toshiba wanted it that way...

I still see this as an active discussion on launchpad.

I'll see if I can find a resolution for the kernel.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I just tried this after searching for some more solutions on my fan problem.

"Add the following to your /etc/modules: (sudo gedit /etc/modules)
    battery
    ac
    thermal
    processor
    acpi-cpufreq
    cpufreq-userspace
    Restart after adding."

Now my fan seems to be slowly working but when I get into cpu heavy programs (converting video with handbrake, which I will be doing a lot) the temp jumped up from 55 deg c to 90 deg c within minutes. The pc did not shutdown since I stopped the encode at that point. Now after stopping the encode the temp dropped back down to 55 within 1.5 mins. I felt the pc physically get hotter and cool back off. What exactly did I do and can I use this to change the speed of the fan?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Ah, the "Toshiba fan with Linux issue" again.

Toshiba apparently has a distaste for Linux. The fan control works just fine in Windows, since Toshiba wanted it that way...

I still see this as an active discussion on launchpad.

I'll see if I can find a resolution for the kernel.
    Does the Toshiba fan have this issue with earlier releases of Ubuntu? I am thinking of taking 9.10 off and running 8.4 until the next LTS comes out, at least if the fan issue is solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As I recall, this has been a long-standing issue.

Toshiba expects that Windows will be installed (It's a good bet that it will be, so do you blame them?), and defers fan control to Windows.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Well for the foreseeable future I will need to keep a windows machine around so I've taken Ubuntu off of this machine. Once I get a new hard dive for my Dell I'll give Ubuntu another go.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast