Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

SOLVED WITH TODAYS 2.4.4 RELEASE OF THE SYTSEM76 DRIVER

If you're still running 9.04...

First, DO A COMPLETE BACKUP OF YOUR IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE UPGRADING. The upgrade to 9.10 has been a rough one all around, and you should be prepared in case the upgrade fails.

Second, run all 9.04 system updates and reboot.

Third, upgrade to 9.10 using the instructions here...
    http://knowledge76.com/index.php/KarmicUpgrade

If you are already running 9.10...

First, go to System > Update Manger and run ALL system updates BEFORE running the 2.4.4 version of the System76 driver.

Then go to System > System76 Driver and click the Install Drivers tab and the Install button.

Reboot, and wireless will be fixed.

If you've done a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10...

First, run all System updates before running the System76 Driver.

Second, download and install the 2.4.4 version of the driver from...
    http://planet76.com/repositories
    ...It will be the second link from the bottom.

Third, go the the System76 Driver and click the Restore tab and the Restore button. Then reboot your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier Content...

If you own a Starling Netbook and you are currently running 9.04, please stay there for now. An upgrade to 9.10 will break your wireless, and we do not have the fix in place yet.

If you've already upgraded to 9.10, we've released the 2.4.0 verion of the System76 Driver, which provides short-range wireless capabilities for the Starling until we are finished working on the full-scale fix. We are working hard on the fix, and will deliver it as soon as possible via a System76 Driver update.

Please subscribe to this thread to be updated on further developments.

If you are still running 9.04 and are having wireless difficulties, please read this...

Establish a wired Internet connection. Then go to Administration > Update Manager. Click the "Check" button, and then install any updates. Then reboot your computer.

Now go to Administration > System76 Driver. Click the "Install" tab and the "Install" button. When the driver finishes, reboot your computer.

Your wireless LED now should be on, and you should be able to see wireless access points. If you cannot, there is a spring-loaded toggle switch on the right-hand side of the leading edge of your Starling. Toggle it *ONCE* to the right, and then release it. Now, reboot your computer.
    For optimal wireless performance until the 9.10 fix is completed, you can re-install Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04. Instructions are here...
    http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Res...ook#Directions
    Last edited by thomasaaron; January 12th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

We currently have a technician deployed to the Ubuntu Developers Summit to try and get a permanent fix in place. I'll post back here with his progress as I hear more.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Not trying to be inpatient but is there any news?
    ~Rubbs
    # /dev/input/ears > /dev/null = Lalalalalala I'm not listening!
    Works With U

Beans

Er, should those of us who jumped the gun just go ahead and downgrade? Any chance we'll get the update within the next week?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's not going to be in the next week.

We are looking at a few different options for solving this. We know we can do it by rolling a new kernel that includes the API necessary for compiling the old driver. This would be a one-version solution (i.e. it would work for Karmic, and then when the next version of Ubuntu comes along, we'd try to have the fix rolled permanently into the kernel).

Or, we can keep working with Realtek to get them to re-code the driver to conform with Linux's new API. That one's a bit tougher, but we're trying to leverage a little pressure on Realtek by having Intel go to them for us. Realtek hasn't been responsive thus far.

Or we can continue to try to modify the driver code ourselves, which is tough.

The first option is the easiest, but not a long-term solution. The second option is ideal, but takes a lot of communications work and some good-will.

The third option is doable, but since we aren't C programmers, it is pretty tough.

At any rate, our deadline for getting this done has basically moved out about another three weeks.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    The third option is doable, but since we aren't C programmers, it is pretty tough.
    You know, a lot of us who use System76 hardware *are* C programmers. I imagine some of us represent an untapped resource which could be leveraged towards fixing this problem, if you guys are up to it.

Beans

I messed up and upgraded before checking the forums, so I also broke my wireless. My temp (and ugly) fix was to use ndiswrapper to install the current Windows driver for the Starling wireless card. My wireless is usable again When the new driver comes out, I'll get rid of ndiswrapper.

The only problem I haven't fixed is that I don't have wireless after coming out of a suspend.

Beans

Question Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Quote Originally Posted by jsimmond View Post
    My temp (and ugly) fix was to use ndiswrapper to install the current Windows driver for the Starling wireless card.
    Hey jsimmond, can you post the steps you went through in that process to get it working again? The card, as best I can tell, is this...

Model: RTL8187B
    Latest XP driver version: 1158.0113.2009

I installed ndiswrapper and followed the instructions as best I could to install using the .inf file. I'm not sure if it did anything, but I haven't noticed a difference...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ligaa9mm View Post
    Hey jsimmond, can you post the steps you went through in that process to get it working again? The card, as best I can tell, is this...
    I'll try to post my steps tonight. It's been a couple of weeks since I installed the driver, so I don't remember the individual steps of the top of my head.

Beans

My situation: I had spotty wireless right after the upgrade to Karmic. So, I decided to "fix" it. After various attempts, I tried to go back to the previous driver, but this completely screwed things up. The OS recognized the wireless card, but I couldn't do anything with it. After reading a bit, I decided to try installing the windows driver for the card, using ndiswrapper.

Result: wireless is back to pre-update levels. The only problem is that I don't have wireless when I bring the laptop out of suspension/hibernation. I have to reboot to get the wireless working after I suspend (so I'm switching it off now instead of suspending).

Ok, you've been warned. If you still want to go ahead, here is what I did:

1. Figure out what chipset your wireless card has.

Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
    jsimmond@ito:~$
    My Starling has a USB wireless card, so I used lsusb. If you don't find anything with lsusb, see if you have any luck finding it using
    Code:
    lspci -v | less

If your card is also a RTL8187B, continue.

2. Install ndiswrapper

Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~$ sudo apt-get install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    3. Download the windows driver for the RTL8187B

HTML Code:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&ProdID=143&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true
    Watch out: the drivers for 2 other wireless cards are on the same download page. Scroll down to the RTL8187B section. I got the Win2K/WinXP/Vista driver (version # 1158, filename: 8187B_WindowsDriver_5_6.1158.0113.2009.zip

4. Extract the driver zip file to some directory.

Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~$ unzip 8187B_WindowsDriver_5_6.1158.0113.2009.zip
    Driver location (the .inf file):
    Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~/temp/(090310)RTL8187B_WindowsDriver_5_6.1158.0113.2009_ISS_1.01.0087/RTL8187B/WinXP2K$ ls -l
    total 368K
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jsimmond jsimmond 8.4K 2009-01-16 12:23 net8187b.cat
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jsimmond jsimmond  15K 2009-01-13 17:56 net8187b.inf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jsimmond jsimmond 333K 2009-01-13 17:56 rtl8187B.sys
    5. Fire-up the ndiswrapper GUI

Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~$ sudo ndisgtk
    6. Click on the "Install New Driver" button. You should get an open file dialog, pick the .inf file from step 4. I don't remember exactly what happened at this point, I think I clicked ok on a couple of screens. I don't have any new driver to install to check

I've attached a screenshot of what ndisgtk should look like if the install was successful.

7. After you exit ndisgtk (and reboot for good measure), check if the new driver is available under ndiswrapper:

Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    net8187b : driver installed
        device (0BDA:8189) present (alternate driver: rtl8187)
    jsimmond@ito:~$
    For the curious, here are the contents of my /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file:
    Code:
    jsimmond@ito:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    alias usb:v0BDAp8187d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* ndiswrapper
    alias usb:v0BDAp8189d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* ndiswrapper
    8. After rebooting, my network-manager had a "Wireless" subsection again. Now I could see my router and connect to it. Around this time, I also switched to WPA, since my old router died and the new one's WEP authentication doesn't work.

I hope this guide is detailed enough to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast