Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to set a file sharing server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best way to set a file sharing server?

I'm looking for a way to let some users within a LAN to share files among themselves through a centralized repository.

Currently, we've been using Dropbox for this purpose, but the storage space provided to free accounts is quite limited. Moreover, it doesn't make much sense to send files across the internet throughout god knows where in the world just to make a file available to a computer connected to the same LAN and located right next to the sender.

As an alternative, the first thought that came to mind was to set up a FTP server. As I have no experience setting up a file sharing server, let alone a FTP server, don't know where to start or even if this is the best way to offer this sort of service.

This service should make files available to linux and windows users, and it should limit access to only a set of authorized users.

For a newbie, does anyone know what's the best way to set up a file server on an Ubuntu installation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Best way to set a file sharing server?

well you need to install server (for windows users you need samba) and then depends how you plan on doing it (configure via text fiels or GUI). if you like GUI interface then install webmin to the server.

you might also look at Zentyal (Ubuntu based) and Open Media Vault (debian based). both are ment for small servers as you plan them.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If it is to be used only on the LAN and never over the Internet at large, then Samba will work for both Linux and other users.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba

If you want to access the files over the Internet, then you might look at SFTP. It is built into the package OpenSSH-server so if you install that, then you have SFTP up and running. There are SFTP clients built into most (all?) file managers these days, so you can access the SFTP server as if the files were local simply by pressing ctrl-L in the file manager and then entering the URI of your account. e.g. sftp://greatbunzinni@198.51.100.23/home/greatbunzinni/

You should, however, be careful to avoid old FTP:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The "native" file sharing system for Linux is NFS and this works well if your network only has Linux clients. See SettingUpNFSHowTo

However, if you have a "mixed" network, consisting of both Linux and Windows systems, then Samba is probably the way to go but I can't verify this as there are no Windows systems here.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBunzinni View Post
    ...For a newbie, does anyone know what's the best way to set up a file server on an Ubuntu installation?
    p.s. For a newbie, you joined Ubuntu Forums before I did, way back in 2005!!!
    Last edited by Zill; June 28th, 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added p.s.

Beans

All the FTP server packages work 'out of the box'. People only have configuration problems when they try to change something.

Beans

Quick beginners guide to a samba server here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685718

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    If it is to be used only on the LAN and never over the Internet at large, then Samba will work for both Linux and other users.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba
    I'm not familiar with Samba. What advantages does it have over SFTP?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    If you want to access the files over the Internet, then you might look at SFTP. It is built into the package OpenSSH-server so if you install that, then you have SFTP up and running.
    Sounds good. Is there any tutorial on how to set a SFTP server on an Ubuntu installation?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    The "native" file sharing system for Linux is NFS and this works well if your network only has Linux clients. See SettingUpNFSHowTo

However, if you have a "mixed" network, consisting of both Linux and Windows systems, then Samba is probably the way to go but I can't verify this as there are no Windows systems here.
    In this particular workgroup, unfortunately linux is the exception rather than the norm.

How hard is it to get Samba up and running, particularly with regards to a SFTP installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    p.s. For a newbie, you joined Ubuntu Forums before I did, way back in 2005!!!
    Time does fly, but I'm still a newbie in a lot of areas. Setting up a file sharing server is one of those things where I'm a hamfisted newbie. For now, at least

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    All the FTP server packages work 'out of the box'. People only have configuration problems when they try to change something.
    Sounds good. Do you recommend any tutorial on the subject?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBunzinni View Post
    Sounds good. Do you recommend any tutorial on the subject?
    It is unlikely that a tutorial is necessary. If you go with SFTP, it is part of the package OpenSSH-server and so if you install that package you have an SFTP server running automatically.

In addition to the file managers having SFTP support built in you can also connect with FileZilla or SSHFS. SSHFS is a fancier SFTP client and will mount the remote system as if it were a local directory. Linux, OS X and other systems can use SSHFS because it uses SFTP. It's simple but works.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast