Thread: How to open port for BT downloads using Transmission

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How to open port for BT downloads using Transmission

Transmission says my port is closed. If I google the problem, it just gives me advice on how to open a port in Windows OS. There's no firewall in Ubuntu 10.10 by default, right? There isn't any router used neither. I'm living in a dorm. I just plug the LAN cable in the box fixed to the wall. Hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers

Beans

Re: How to open port for BT downloads using Transmission

You have to open the port via iptables. As root, the command will look something like:
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -p protocol --dport port# -j ACCEPT
    You can find a primer on iptables here.

HTH
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by H3R3T1K View Post
    Transmission says my port is closed. If I google the problem, it just gives me advice on how to open a port in Windows OS. There's no firewall in Ubuntu 10.10 by default, right? There isn't any router used neither. I'm living in a dorm. I just plug the LAN cable in the box fixed to the wall. Hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers
    I would imagine that it's being blocked by the campus gateway. Most academic institutes don't want their network becoming a torrent farm.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I would imagine that it's being blocked by the campus gateway. Most academic institutes don't want their network becoming a torrent farm.
    Thats too bad, because it means we can't help him. I think the COC forbids help in trying to get around firewalls, like say China, corporate, campus.