Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 386 Vs. 686

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

386 Vs. 686

Is it worth it to install the 686 Kernel rather than the 386 one?

Is it difficult to do if it is worth it?
    SPECIAL ORDER 937: "NOSTROMO REROUTED TO NEW COORDINATES. INVESTIGATE LIFE FORM. GATHER SPECIMEN. PRIORITY ONE. INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM FOR ANALYSIS. ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY. CREW EXPENDABLE."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 386 Vs. 686

Yes, it is worth it, especially if you have a desktop computer (the 686 kernel tends to make laptops overheat). i686 is much faster than i386 on modern computers.

Installation is really easy. Just search for "linux-image" in synaptic, and you'll find a kernel package. Installing it is not more difficult than installing anything else, except that you'll have to reboot to use your new kernel...

- trib'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Is it worth it to install the 686 Kernel rather than the 386 one?

Is it difficult to do if it is worth it?
    if you have a pentium 4 or AMD 64, then you have to install a i686 kernel, i've led to believe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I do have a laptop, with a Pentium M processor...

I was thinking about installing it the other day... Do you simple select it and the restricted modules and hit apply?

Will it automatically uninstall my current kernel?
    SPECIAL ORDER 937: "NOSTROMO REROUTED TO NEW COORDINATES. INVESTIGATE LIFE FORM. GATHER SPECIMEN. PRIORITY ONE. INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM FOR ANALYSIS. ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY. CREW EXPENDABLE."

Beans

Be carefull, don't install only linux-image-686 but linux-686, otherwise you could have problem on upgrade.

EDIT: linux-686 will install for you linux-image & linux-restricted-module, and will take care of upgrade.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    I do have a laptop, with a Pentium M processor...

I was thinking about installing it the other day... Do you simple select it and the restricted modules and hit apply?

Will it automatically uninstall my current kernel?
    It won't uninstall your current kernel, but will chose i686 as the default. I would leave the i386 kernel installed for a little while to make sure you don't have problems with the i686 kernel. If all is well then you can safely uninstall the i386 kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by tribaal View Post
    Yes, it is worth it, especially if you have a desktop computer (the 686 kernel tends to make laptops overheat). i686 is much faster than i386 on modern computers.

Installation is really easy. Just search for "linux-image" in synaptic, and you'll find a kernel package. Installing it is not more difficult than installing anything else, except that you'll have to reboot to use your new kernel...

- trib'
    It is NOT much faster on modern computers. The Pentium M for instance works like crap with it. I installed it on mine and the system slowed down to a crawl. Booted into 386 and it was flying again.

Complex Number,
    Whoever told you that was wrong, you can use the 386 kernel on a P4 and an AMD64 just fine. In fact I saw no difference in speed between the two on my P4 laptop. For AMD64 you need the 64 bit kernel (K8) but in Dapper it is no longer available in repos as there is a purely 64 bit version

General Info,
    To install a new kernel do a sudo apt-get install linux-<archtype>. (i.e. linux-686 for the 686 kernel). That is a meta package that will install all of the 686 kernel modules as well as have the update manager update you with the 686 kernel instead of the 386. The old kernel will not be removed it will be kept alongside the new one but the new one will be set as default in GRUB.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak View Post
    It is NOT much faster on modern computers. The Pentium M for instance works like crap with it. I installed it on mine and the system slowed down to a crawl. Booted into 386 and it was flying again.
    I thought so, I had heard that same assertion from someone else, but I thought I would ask just to be sure I wasn't missing out on any hawt hawtness...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have an AMD64 X2 dual core processor and Im using 32 bit right now. Would it be worth it with my processor to bump up to 64 bit? Will this affect any of my programs?

Beans
    Distro

Whoever told you that was wrong, you can use the 386 kernel on a P4 and an AMD64 just fine.
    it was from the suse(i think. or gentoo) forum about a year ago.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast