Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To Stabilise your DNS addresses

Beans

Re: How-To Stabilise your DNS addresses

@454redhawk & zzzname,

Two seperate topics are being mixed up here:

1. Using the prepend line in dhclient.conf causes resolv.conf to have your prefered DNS addresses, in your prefered order & put your router/gateway's address last. Which I like better than making resolv.conf immutable, due to my preference of allowing the OS to write the correct information where & when it wants, rather than me having to take care of it.

2. The reason I offer OpenDNS's addresses in the how-to are manifold, they must also be considered bonus information to point 1. above:

* I link to the OpenDNS Start page - a clearly written & simple how-to configure many common routers which many people could find helpful at the least.

* Some may not know their ISP's DNS's so they can use OpenDNS's how-to & addresses until they contact their ISP.

* OpenDNS does provide a faster cleaner service than most of our ISP's, so linking to it in the how-to may open a door to better service, it atleast opens the door of opportunity.

* One can use OpenDNS via prepend as per the first post in this thread & not have to edit because their ISP has changed it's DNS addresses yet again, or because you have changed your ISP for that matter.

The very nature of computing & the super configurable Linux based OS's means that not everything works for everybody, if it did this forum would be miniscule in size by comparison with what it is now...

If OpenDNS doesn't work as well as your ISP's DNS, don't use it.

If prepend doesn't work for you, that's unfortunate, try making resolv.conf immutable.

Follow your preferences where you can...

The how-to has been written to help user's who do & don't, can & can't use OpenDNS, most specifically it demonstrates IMHO the cleanest solution for stabilising your chosen DNS addresses as I mentioned in point 1. of this post. (Circles)
    Last edited by handy; January 19th, 2007 at 01:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    @454redhawk & zzzname,

Two seperate topics are being mixed up here:

If prepend doesn't work for you, that's unfortunate, try making resolv.conf immutable.

Follow your preferences where you can...

The how-to has been written to help user's who do & don't, can & can't use OpenDNS, most specifically it demonstrates IMHO the cleanest solution for stabilising your chosen DNS addresses as I mentioned in point 1. of this post. (Circles)

Thats the point I was making . The prepend option is NOT a sure fire way to do it . Sometimes for whatever reason it does not work (I imagine thats why you say"If prepend doesn't work for you, that's unfortunate") . Locking down the resolv.conf file would be just as "clean" as you like to put it AND it works without a doubt.

These ARE NOT 2 seperate issues

Locking down resolv.conf and using openDNS is the solution to the problem you describe. NOT the only solution but its the one that WILL work EVERY time without question.

Anyway. Sorry to jump in your thread. Take it for what its worth.
    Dell Inspiron 1150 Celeron 2.6

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 454redhawk View Post

These ARE NOT 2 seperate issues

Locking down resolv.conf and using openDNS is the solution to the problem you describe. NOT the only solution but its the one that WILL work EVERY time without question.

Anyway. Sorry to jump in your thread. Take it for what its worth.
    Apparently OpenDNS doesn't work for everyone, I have no clue why?

Your input has caused more info' to be put in this thread, which is bound to useful to be someone...

So, thanks...
    Last edited by handy; January 21st, 2007 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

I was having a problem with disappearing DNS's as well, but the regular options being bantered about regarding the dhcpclient.conf file didn't work. presumably as I have a static IP.

I found this blog entry from ttp://www.shallowsky.com/blog/linux/resolvconf.html which suggested adding 'dns-nameservers=x.x.x.x' into the /etc/network/interfaces file.

This resolved the disappearing DNS issue for me.

Beans

Thanks, I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 for the first time and your 'ipv6 quick fix' made it possible for me to get Firefox on the internet. Great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Using Feisty (last week's release) on a Dell Inspiron laptop, I previously altered the prepend statement (on the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file) for the wired ethernet (eth0) connection to show the open OpenDNS IPs (i.e. 208.67.222 & 208.67.220.220) by handy in November 2005 and that worked fine using Swiftfox (I'd previously used the same technique successfully on an older Acer laptop using Edgy with Firefox).

However, as soon as I'd got the wireless connection working, I disabled the wireless connection (using System/Administration/Network and the Connections tab) and I tried to run Swiftfox. I couldn't browse to any web site and so I checked the DNS tab on System/Administration/Network. And there were no entries other than 0.0.0.0. By the way, the router I'm using doesn't have the DNS IPs storable in it. When I put the appropriate entries in and saved, web sites could be browsed. So Feisty appears to clear DNS IPs when there is a wireless connection. Any work around to save me reloading these IPs at every logon?
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Thanks Hanks, it helped
    I forgot that love existed - Van Morrison

Beans
    Hidden!

If for whatever reason the above method does not work, type sudo nano -w /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist & enter the line blacklist-ipv6, then do steps 3. & 4. as above.
    That looks like a typo to me. No?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Archnix View Post
    That looks like a typo to me. No?
    That is not a typo.

Beans
    Hidden!

Right, well I was just point out that there was a difference between the line I quoted, and the line in step two. One said "blacklist-ipv6" and one said "blacklist ipv6"

But I see you've gone and changed the one in step two as of three hours ago without pointing out why or what was changed. The least you could of done is said, that one isn't the typo, the one in step two was.

It must not matter either way, because blacklist ipv6 seems to work too. Guides available alternate between blacklist ipv6 and blacklist-ipv6.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast