Thread: A database on Ubuntu

Beans

A database on Ubuntu

I have Ubuntu on my notebook at home, and I can make queries in SQL (DB2 9), but that's where my computer-knowledge stops...

Now I want to write queries in a program like "SQuirreL" and have my own database to use them on. That way, I won't need to learn to use "OpenOffice Base" which (in my opinion) is way to difficult, graphical and slow.

Is there a simple way to "make" your own database on a notebook and is there a program like "SQuirreL" that I can use in Ubuntu, to make the queries. Any help is usefull!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: A database on Ubuntu

I don't know about squirrel but people usually use MySQL and PostgreSQL on ubuntu.

Both of them are easy to install but I don't know if they are squirrel compatible if that's what you want to use for queries. I would say any sql database should be compatible.

Here is the official documentation to get you started, and I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials online too:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...databases.html

Note: The link is for the Ubuntu Server version but you can install mysql or postgresql on the Desktop version too. It's just that the documentation is inside the server docs.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

According to their web-site SQuirrel does run on Linux.
    There also are two SQL clients in the Ubuntu software centre, one is GUI and the other CLI.

Beans

Using SQuirreL on Ubuntu or finding a program like it, will not be the problem I think. But making a database where I can "copy/paste" my data in, will be. If I look at the documentation about MySQL, I drop out at "configuration"...

Is there a program where you can import data (from a .csv file) into tables and make SQL queries?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by georingo View Post
    Is there a program where you can import data (from a .csv file) into tables and make SQL queries?
    To suck in the data, there's mysqlimport

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqlimport.html

You will need to create the tables first (either using the mysql command line client or the GUI client of your choice - fwiw I have used squirrel on Xubuntu in the past, I found it a bit confusing to set up the java driver bits but that may have been because I was using it with MS SQL Server rather than mysql)

Beans

Thank you for the advice. I'll first try "Sqliteman" (SQLite databases made easy). Maybe this is just what I need (simple table making and querying?).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am using sqlite as my database. It is just one file and in the repository. But I use python to do a lot of things, but to develop & test my sql queries I use sqliteman and sqlite data base browser. Both are in the repository.

With sqliteman you have to create a database and a table, then you can import files.

With python I can create scripts that read a csv table with headers, create table and add data automatically.

SQLite is a C library that implements an SQL database engine.
    Programs that link with the SQLite library can have SQL database
    access without running a separate RDBMS process.

sqliteman
    Contains the most complete feature set of all SQLite GUI available. Tune
    SQL statements, manage tables, views or triggers, administrate the database
    space and index statistics with SQLiteman.

SQLite Database Browser is a visual tool used to create, design and edit
    database files compatible with SQLite.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.