View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 37 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Master Kernel Thread

well, I believe they use soemthing called git for their kernel development team. I have found it before wheere all the patches are but I can't seem to find it again but I have found the fiesty kernel tree. Here's a link to some part of the tree.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubunt...u-2.6.20-15.26

good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thanks for that info!

looks like this is the patch i need: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubunt...1366dd78a12dff

i'm going to try merging that diff with my kernel source and see how i get on.
    Registered Linux User: 443527 | Registered Ubuntu User: 12253 | Last.fm profile
    Dell Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 730 @ 2.27 GHz | GeForce 6800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok so that failed miserably - wont even compile now guess there are other alterations that need to be made.

this is a strange issue, is anyone else having similar trouble?

Beans
    Distro

well did you start with the vanilla kernel or did you use the ubuntu kernel source's to just update your config of the kernel? I also am not sure about patches or anything like that, I only pointed you to a link that stated, "Patches" and I in no way meant for you to use those as how do you know that those patches aren't already in the vanilla kernel? I wish I could be of more help here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i started with the vanilla kernel source.

i thought the patch was worth a shot but i have a very limited understanding of source tree's/merging/commits/patching/cvs and the like so its no surprise it failed really.

think my next move is to just use the ubuntu source with my .config to make a lighter weight kernel.
    either that or i'll try one of the latest 2.6.22 release candidates to see if the issue is still present.

thanks for your help dannyboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Before all: thanks for the thread! The mehod using
    Code:
    make-kpkg
    works ok.

BUT:

the problem with this method is that everytime you rebuild a kernel, you have to do a
    Code:
    make-kpkg clean
    , and that signify that you have to recompile all. If you use a generic .config, this could be 4 hours on my poor laptop. Now, if you have made little changes, it should be possible to recompile the kernel in a much more rapid fahion, with the
    Code:
    make ; make modules_install
    method, and then manually install the new kernel.

My problems come at the moment of creating the initrd. Suppose I have compiled the kernel version 2.6.21.1-myk; after the abovementioned step I do

Code:
    mkinitramfs 2.6.21.1-myk -o initrd.img
    I then move al to the /boot director, run
    Code:
    /sbin/update-grub
    , and...

...the new kernel boots ok, but then the boot process stops with a BusyBox in the initramfs.

Is there anyone that can help me to create, manually, the correct initrd to boot the system?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi Everybody,

Well my wireless is working just fine now; new kernel and all

I haven't gotten around to my modem yet. That's next.

So here's the skinny. When we change the kernel, we need to rebuild our restricted modules. Not all of them. Just the ones we need. I my case that was wireless and modem. Now to rebuild restricted modules we need their source, makefile, and lots and lots of other files too. Give yourself plenty of time to do this step. It is no small potato to find source, supporting files, and good instructions. Ubuntu is no help here. We're on our own. I found all the files and excellent instructions for my wireless at madwifi.org and for my modem at linmodems.org. I extracted the files from both tarballs into /usr/src. It wasn't difficult. From the instructions I copied, pasted, and executed three lines of code. Wireless just came up and started running right off the bat!

Hope this helps the community and if anybody wants more details on building the Atheros wireless module let me know and I'll write a detailed howto.

Now off to get the old modem working again. That's going to be a bear. I've still got more research to do. There's a brand new package out there for my modem called martian. The good news is it's kernel version independent. The bad news is it's still in the development phase. I'm tempted to try it anyway. Anybody out there know anything about martian?

Peace,
    GaryH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm pretty new to Linux and after some reading, I can tell the advantages of compiling a new kernel, but what about the disadvantages? Also, I tried compiling with k7smp (for my dual core Opteron), and it seemed to compile without incident. Is that a correct revision? I don't want to install it if it's not right. I mean, I didn't have any issues with compiling. Just a little scared to screw things up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Cool Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi darkjedi664,

I read somewhere in Ubuntu cyberspace a warning stating that rebuilding kernels, in almost all cases, should be left to kernel developers. I chose to disobey that warning because I'm a software engineer who enjoys tinkering with software and who enjoys web surfing for hours for answers to Linux questions.

The downside of customizing your kernel is complete destruction of your system and the upside is little to no speed improvement and disk savings which on a modern hard drive are insignificant.

I noticed no speed improvement with my custom Feisty kernel as compared to the generic Feisty kernel when running glxgears.

That's just MHO.

Peace,
    GaryH

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkjedi664 View Post
    I'm pretty new to Linux and after some reading, I can tell the advantages of compiling a new kernel, but what about the disadvantages? Also, I tried compiling with k7smp (for my dual core Opteron), and it seemed to compile without incident. Is that a correct revision? I don't want to install it if it's not right. I mean, I didn't have any issues with compiling. Just a little scared to screw things up
    if you would have read the guide you would have saw that the revision has nothing to do with the kernel at all. It is merely a naming thing. You don't even have to add a revision but then you might not know which kernel is the one you just compiled. Also, as long you have another kernel option to boot to in your menu.lst, you can always boot to that so it wouldn't screw up your system, it would merely just maybe not boot using your newly compiled kernel. GO FOR IT!

I changed the capital letters because I realized that this is construed as yelling and not just trying to point something out. so if you're offended I aologize and in know way meant for that to be read as me yelling that. It's just that many people have asked this same question.
    Last edited by dannyboy79; May 24th, 2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: apologizing, didn't realize how bad hte capital letters look!!

Page 37 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast