Thread: desktop customization

Beans

desktop customization

I don't really have a question, I just want to say that it's really bugging me that it is becoming more and more difficult to customize your desktop in ubuntu. You used to be able to change colors and looks of basically anything you wanted with just a few mouse clicks, now just to get rid of the ugly orange colors that is ubuntu, you have to go through a process.. not a huge process, but a process. Let us customize again ubuntu, or at least give us the option to change the color of things so that I am not stuck looking at this hideous orange color all the time.

thanks
    beelzebufo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: desktop customization

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebufo View Post
    I don't really have a question,
    Not a support request.

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't really have a question, I just want to say that it's really bugging me that it is becoming more and more difficult to customize your desktop in ubuntu. You used to be able to change colors and looks of basically anything you wanted with just a few mouse clicks, now just to get rid of the ugly orange colors that is ubuntu, you have to go through a process.. not a huge process, but a process. Let us customize again ubuntu, or at least give us the option to change the color of things so that I am not stuck looking at this hideous orange color all the time.

thanks
    beelzebufo
    It's happening all through Linux, and all through computing in general. It's a part of growing up for the computer industry. You can't present the user with a massive array of options, without hurting usability and making the user feel less confident.

Hide the hacky tweaky options, or remove them entirely, is the name of the game. Anyone else remember the number of people who've posted in the support forum, complaining that they've been fiddling in Compizconfig Settings Manager and broken their desktop?

It's still perfectly possible to change colours and themes in Ubuntu. Install a new GTK 3 theme and it will appear in the Appearance panel. If you don't know how to install the new themes, you can use Gnome Tweak Tool.

Also I think you're blaming the wrong party. It's not Ubuntu that removed the theming options. It's Gnome. In fact, Ubuntu added the theme selector back to the Appearance panel after the Gnome developers removed it.

It's also still as easy to install a different desktop, such as XFCE or KDE, and use it on Ubuntu. A surprising number of people still think you need to install Kubuntu in order to get KDE. If you're really into tweaking, KDE will suit you better.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

thanks
    beelzebufo
    Change your GUI. Pretty much anything is more customisable than Unity (I use MATE, for the reason you've stated: customisation).