Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

Beans

Re: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

in the last 2 or 3 versions no format functions for usb or am i missing something?
    If you are talking about right click quicklist option then indeed quite a few of useful options are not in Ubuntu 13.04 anymore compared to Ubuntu 12.04 for example. It would be interesting to know what is official reason for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This is a good release but it's mostly due to the kernel. Not very many changes to Unity. That being said. I really like it. Unity makes much better use of screen space than gnome shell. Gnome window placement sucks and why even have the panel? It's completely useless. You can hit the hot corner for apps and put all the other crap in the notification area. It makes no sense. Shell is a terrible DE. With Unity the panel makes sense because it contains the notification area, the appmenu and incorporates int whatever app your using to save screen space. With option to decide where you want the windows to open and if they should be maximized or not. I cannot tell you how much gnome shell sucks. I just can't. It sucks.

The only problem I have with Unity is why can I not hide irrelevant apps from the dash? Main menu is not working. Why include it?

Beans

Re: removing undesired apps from Dash

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityCat View Post
    The only problem I have with Unity is why can I not hide irrelevant apps from the dash? Main menu is not working. Why include it?
    (posting in this thread only to offer something on ^, by no means agree with title -
    Do you mean 'irrelevant' in terms of your search or 'irrelevant' in general, ie. you never, ever want to see?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    (posting in this thread only to offer something on ^, by no means agree with title -
    Do you mean 'irrelevant' in terms of your search or 'irrelevant' in general, ie. you never, ever want to see?
    as in do not want to see.

Beans

as in do not want to see.
    Well then you can take care of yourself, there is no 'gui' way, nor will there ever be. (unless one of those tweak tools has or adds

To do so -
    Locate the app(s) in question .desktop in /usr/share/applications & open in a root text editor
    add this line to the .desktop
    Code:
    NoDisplay=true
    Small insignificant example -
    when searching "start" I don't want to see ibus
    So opening ibus.desktop as root, add line, save, it no longer appears

If using gksudo gedit then you can make life a bit easier by also having /usr/share/applications open in nautilus.
    Once the root gedit is open just drag & drop the .desktop you wish to disappear from Dash app lens searches onto gedit window, paste in line, save, then DnD the next one, ect., ect.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Well then you can take care of yourself, there is no 'gui' way, nor will there ever be. (unless one of those tweak tools has or adds

To do so -
    Locate the app(s) in question .desktop in /usr/share/applications & open in a root text editor
    add this line to the .desktop
    Code:
    NoDisplay=true
    Small insignificant example -
    when searching "start" I don't want to see ibus
    So opening ibus.desktop as root, add line, save, it no longer appears

If using gksudo gedit then you can make life a bit easier by also having /usr/share/applications open in nautilus.
    Once the root gedit is open just drag & drop the .desktop you wish to disappear from Dash app lens searches onto gedit window, paste in line, save, then DnD the next one, ect., ect.
    I might give it a shot but it's a lot of work. Thanks for the info.

Beans

I might give it a shot but it's a lot of work. Thanks for the info.
    You could probably do 6 per min with DnD & paste, As I mentioned probably wouldn't be too hard for a tweak tool to add this function

there's been some discussion about hiding some more apps from Dash, though stuff like that takes awhile to materialize & involves a lot of bantering about (serious discussion, ect.

Beans
    Distro

not sure i grasp your directions. i looked in the applications. i do not see the desktop file. even while showing hidden. if i select properties im not sure what im looking for. i tried sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/appname but im just opening blank files. sorry posted with my phone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

not sure i grasp your directions. i looked in the applications. i do not see the desktop file. even while showing hidden. if i select properties im not sure what im looking for. i tried sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/appname but im just opening blank files. sorry posted with my phone.
    All the files in /usr/share/applications have a .desktop extension, so if you want to edit the transmission desktop file for example, the command would look like this:

Code:
    gksu gedit /usr/share/applications/transmission-gtk.desktop
    assuming of course that you have gksu installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    All the files in /usr/share/applications have a .desktop extension, so if you want to edit the transmission desktop file for example, the command would look like this:

Code:
    gksu gedit /usr/share/applications/transmission-gtk.desktop
    assuming of course that you have gksu installed.
    as usual ..

edit
    Apologies... (as usual) me busy .. I missed that one and was redirected.

Thanks

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    libgksu2-0 gksu
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]?
    Last edited by ventrical; April 24th, 2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: missed a thread and was directed to proper thread

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast