Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow resume from suspend; can't hibernate

Beans

Slow resume from suspend; can't hibernate

I have an HP Envy Spectre 14 and on Ubuntu, it takes forever to resume from suspend. I have 8GB of RAM and a SS drive--on Windows 7 it takes seconds. I can't seem to find the cause of the issue. I would like to point out though, before I go to sleep, I close my laptop. Occasionally, when I wake up the next morning the laptop's logo on the lid is lit up--this means it's running. I'll open my laptop and it will resume almost instantly. However, when this particular scenario occurs, the laptop is running; (i.e., the fan is working hard, the computer sounds like it's doing some intensive tasks, blah blah blah). I don't know how to replicate that though--it just happens sometimes.

While I'm at it, I can't hibernate Linux. I can hibernate Windows, but not Linux. I'm in Linux almost all the time and would like the ability to hibernate--I know it has something to do with partioning the drives; does it have to do with the Swap Space? Currently, my swap space has about 300mb invested.

All help is appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Slow resume from suspend; can't hibernate

I have no idea about the suspend problem, but as far as hibernation is concerned, it was disabled in 12.04? and later versions, but it is easy to enable it.
    See http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754...le-hibernation for details.

I don't know what you mean by "Currently, my swap space has about 300mb invested." but in order to hibernate you need swap space at least as large as your ram, ie 4GB ram needs at least 4GB swap partition.

Beans

My current swap space size is 300mb, because at the time--I didn't know what that was used for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

OK, so to enable hibernation you will need to follow my previous post and the link to askubuntu, and also increase your swap size to 8GB, same as your ram, which you can only safely do with a live CD/USB and gparted. Backup everything first, just in case.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    OK, so to enable hibernation you will need to follow my previous post and the link to askubuntu, and also increase your swap size to 8GB, same as your ram, which you can only safely do with a live CD/USB and gparted. Backup everything first, just in case.
    So I increased my Swap space size to 8GB. I followed the tutorial on how to set up hibernation--however, my computer already had that file configured properly. when I type "sudo pm-hibernate", the computer screen goes black like it's about to hibernate, but then resumes back to what I was doing. It stops hibernating.

Beans

Hello iNate71, I have an HP Pavilion dv7 with 2GB of RAM and swap space equal to size of RAM. I also experience the same issues. "Suspending" leaves the laptop fan making way too much noise as if I'm working on several tasks and hibernation always fails. Plus all these are not present in Windows.

About the constant "fan noise", from what I've gathered it's due to my graphics AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4650. Ubuntu 12.10 comes with xorg 1.13 and breaks Catalyst 12.9, while AMD has dropped the support for Radeon HD 4000, HD 3000 or HD 2000 graphics cards, leaving a major overheating problem behind. In an attempt to avoid further problems canonical decided to set the power managment profile to "default" with the fan always running.

That leaves me with the question "What graphics do you have?" to see if your problem fits the above description.

As for the hibernation failure, I'm currently on the hunt for a solution too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just to put my piece in, there is a log file that might yield some helpful information: /var/log/pm-suspend.log. Please post it back via:
    Code:
    pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    ...and post back the link that is being generated.

Also helpful might be any error messages dumped into syslog. They can be viewed via:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep PM:
    ...feel free to post those back as well.

As for the fan running when the system is suspended, there is a good chance that the system is not in fact suspended, though the screen may be blanked out. Hopefully the log files from above can help identify what is happening.

And one final note, alot of suspend issues are solved by using the proprietary drivers, if they are available. The following command:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -vnn | grep -A15 VGA
    ...will identify your video card(s) and they loaded drivers.
    Last edited by Toz; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Toz, your insight is greatly appreciated.

iNate71 also see this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2107061

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stelladeli View Post
    Hello iNate71, I have an HP Pavilion dv7 with 2GB of RAM and swap space equal to size of RAM. I also experience the same issues. "Suspending" leaves the laptop fan making way too much noise as if I'm working on several tasks and hibernation always fails. Plus all these are not present in Windows.

About the constant "fan noise", from what I've gathered it's due to my graphics AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4650. Ubuntu 12.10 comes with xorg 1.13 and breaks Catalyst 12.9, while AMD has dropped the support for Radeon HD 4000, HD 3000 or HD 2000 graphics cards, leaving a major overheating problem behind. In an attempt to avoid further problems canonical decided to set the power managment profile to "default" with the fan always running.

That leaves me with the question "What graphics do you have?" to see if your problem fits the above description.

As for the hibernation failure, I'm currently on the hunt for a solution too.
    I have Intel's integrated HD 3000 graphics. Whatever is associated with the Ivybridge processing line. I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Just to put my piece in, there is a log file that might yield some helpful information: /var/log/pm-suspend.log. Please post it back via:
    Code:
    pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    ...and post back the link that is being generated.

Also helpful might be any error messages dumped into syslog. They can be viewed via:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep PM:
    ...feel free to post those back as well.

As for the fan running when the system is suspended, there is a good chance that the system is not in fact suspended, though the screen may be blanked out. Hopefully the log files from above can help identify what is happening.

And one final note, alot of suspend issues are solved by using the proprietary drivers, if they are available. The following command:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -vnn | grep -A15 VGA
    ...will identify your video card(s) and they loaded drivers.
    Pastebinit log:
    http://pastebin.com/9yfwFZJv

Syslog:
    http://pastebin.com/76YGRaHW

Drivers/cards:
    http://pastebin.com/WyrE36Lp

Thank you so much for helping me out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@iNate71, from your log files, I don't see the system ever staying suspended. It looks like it goes into suspend mode but then wakes up right away.

Can you try the following to get cleaner information:

1. Make clean log files:
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/log/pm-suspend.log /var/log/pm-suspend.log.BAK
    sudo mv /var/log/syslog /var/log/syslog.BAK
    2. Initiate a suspend:
    Code:
    sudo pm-suspend
    3. Let the system suspend then wait for about 2 minutes. Then, initiate a resume.

4. When the system has resumed, can you please post back the /var/log/pm-suspend.log and /var/log/syslog log files?

And also, from your original post, how long exactly is "takes forever to resume from suspend"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast