Thread: Can not resizepartition with Gparted

Beans

Can not resizepartition with Gparted

I am using Mint12 and df -k shows 9 percent usage. But when I try to resize it, it is greyed out even though my boot partition isnt mint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can not resizepartition with Gparted

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Depending on where the partition is on the disk, other partitions may need to be unmounted as well. Generally I find it easiest to do partitioning from a LiveCD, but even then you will have to unmount the swap partition before accomplishing the resizing operation(s).

And don't forget to backup important data before accomplishing any disk partitioning.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Depending on where the partition is on the disk, other partitions may need to be unmounted as well. Generally I find it easiest to do partitioning from a LiveCD, but even then you will have to unmount the swap partition before accomplishing the resizing operation(s).

And don't forget to backup important data before accomplishing any disk partitioning.
    +1

Usually greyed out means that the partition is currently mounted, and you right click > unmount to get access to it; this can often happen if you've opened the filesystem in the file manager to see what's on it? As drs305 says, you may also need to swap off, again - right click and swapoff.

I also advise using a live CD - it gives you full access to the drive. Just remember the golden rule - whenever you do any partitioning - back up everything on that device - it's really not worth the hassle of not!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnu/mirow View Post
    +1

I also advise using a live CD - it gives you full access to the drive. Just remember the golden rule - whenever you do any partitioning - back up everything on that device - it's really not worth the hassle of not!

Thats a very sound advise about backing up. And thank you for the other details too.